Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Default M1916 holster repair?

I ran across an M1916 holster by maker S & R (Sheffer & Rossum) in pretty good condition except that someone cut off the brass belt hanger on the back so that it can now only be worn by the belt loops. The seller wants $50 for it. My question: Would it be possible to somehow repair the leather and reattach the hanger to bring this holster back into some semblance of what it would have originally looked like?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:44 PM

A boot maker or a saddlery shop can do the leather work, but I am not sure where you would get the metal hanger. Also, by the time you get done, you will have more money into it than it it worth.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Turner Saddle might be able to help you figure it out. He is on this forum.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:10 PM

I made the hanger out of a piece of uncoated brass brazing rod, by using another one for a pattern.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:18 PM

I have seen the metal belt hangers for sale on eBay.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 PM

If you do not need brass,then any of the old first aid pouches would serve s a donor. I have been able to slide a belt hanger back into the M1916 holster with some lube without tearing any stitches.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Along the same lines as the OP's question, I picked up a blackened WW2 "Sears" holster for $20 at a local flea market. Someone cut out the sewn in insert(spacer) inside the holster and mounted a 1964 penny on the flap. I don't mind the penny, but is it worth buying a reproduction holster to sacrifice and having the saddlemaker sew it back in or just leave as is? The pistol is harder to remove than the ones I have that are all original.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Hanger

If the leather loop is still intact, get a hanger from a first aid kit, canteen cover, etc. Bend one end straight...slide thru...rebend back as close as possible. Maybe not perfect but functional...
Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM

I have the wire belt hangers, original salvage, as well as several original boxes of NOS contract run blackened brass wire hangers from the 1950s.

If you bend so you can re-insert the hanger, they can be a pain to re-install and make it look right.

I used to do a lot of scrounging over at the Army/Navy Surplus warehouses in Atlanta back in the early 1990s. They had tons of surplus gear from the Spanish/American War through the 1960s, but you had to dig through piles.

I also found several original back panels for the hangers in unused condition, which works good for patterns.

Let me know if you need any help.

Richard