Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Default First Complaint !!

First off I have loved this range and enjoy shooting there.
Saturday I was shooting at range 1 and worked my way up through the 2-300 yards to the 600 yard. Got my rifle and sights dialed in and was shooting great groups with open sights and a AR15.
I was informed my this young range officer that when I came back I would have to start at the 200 yard mark again !! WTH
I have my sights and my gun dialed in perfect and now I have to screw up my sights just to get back to where I was before???!!!
This is a screwed up rule that needs to be changed !!!!! I will not return if this is the way it is.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Yes it has always been that way. Leon would tell me to write down my adjustments. After that I kept my adjustments written down.

I'm thinking it's in the safety video about progressing forward to 200, 300, then finally 600.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM

I could seeing it being that way if you changed guns or optics
Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 PM

I wish I had a range 1/8 as nice as this range. Id take that problem all day long!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:14 PM

If you are going to shoot high power rifle, you need to know your loads and elevation "come ups" for 100, 200, 300 and 600 yards. This is not only important for safety (keeping all your rounds on the range), but also prevents CMP's expensive electronic target system from getting shot up. I wish we had access to a 1000 yard range. Now THAT would be a LOT of elevation clicks!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Accelerometers are expensive.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
First off I have loved this range and enjoy shooting there.
Saturday I was shooting at range 1 and worked my way up through the 2-300 yards to the 600 yard. Got my rifle and sights dialed in and was shooting great groups with open sights and a AR15.
I was informed my this young range officer that when I came back I would have to start at the 200 yard mark again !! WTH
I have my sights and my gun dialed in perfect and now I have to screw up my sights just to get back to where I was before???!!!
This is a screwed up rule that needs to be changed !!!!! I will not return if this is the way it is.
"I have my sights and my gun dialed in perfect and now I have to screw up my sights just to get back to where I was before???!!! "

Seriously? What's the big deal? If you are shooting 200/300/600yds then you should have the dope for your rifle at each range anyway. It's not "screwing up" your sights. They are made to be adjusted. If you let that stress you out so bad to threaten to not go back then you really didn't want to shoot very badly anyway.

If you realized how many EXPENSIVE sensors have been destroyed there because shooters claim they can shoot (and can't) then you would understand why they have to have certain rules. Maybe you are a great shot...who knows? Sounds like the RO didn't know you and aired on the side of caution to protect the targets.

I know those RO's personally because I shoot over there and compete at all the matches there. If you had any clue at all what those RO's deal with each day you would understand why they have such rules. I've seen guys over there think they are God's gift to shooting that couldn't even keep them on the target much less threaten the x-ring.They get all torqued off when the RO have to ask them to go back to range 2 (100yd range) to get a solid zero then return to Range 1. Their ego just can't stand the fact that they can't shoot worth a F*** and want to blame everything and everybody but themselves. I'm not saying this is your sitcho but i HAVE seen it.

The RO's over there aren't babysitters, most are competitors themselves and are a wealth of knowledge and willing to share. They had much rather you come over there and have a great experience and leave happy.

I had to do the same thing when I didn't have DOPE on my rifles. Everybody does. Take a deep breath and reconsider your statement about not returning. DOPE your rifles, count the clicks, and record them. That way you can go prone and nail anything from 200 to 600yds with the first shot.

regards,
Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 11-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM

Hi Righteous,

You really have to look at your issues with the CMP range in a broader light.Every good book about shooting mentions writing down your sight settings & loads. "WE" all have been were you are now!

ALL the fellow's on this thread have explained your problem clearly.

Are you ready to foot the bill for destroying CMP equipment?

Example :Cutting the target frame cable at our local indoor range cost for replacement is $250 for labor & parts!--$50 for a metal target frame
We really don't miss the people that were shooting up the target frames & cables one bit.

I have meet & talked to two of the fellows that took the time to reply to you. I talked to them at the CAMP PERRY National Match's, both are very accomplished shooters. Both did VERY well in many events. Please hear what they are telling you!

The harsh reply to your comment about not shooting there again is: The CMP, the range officers & other shooters will NEVER remember or miss you! ...........It will be YOUR LOSS................

Good Luck in the future,
broomhandle

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-12-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 PM

The not going back part was ment not going to the 600 mark. I’m not one that likes to shoot at different ranges I like to stay at one range and go for groups. I rather shoot all my ammo at one distance since I normally only have 100 rounds or so per session. I know what your gonna go off about now about stocking up on ammo or what have ya but I’m on disability and get one small check each month and rarely shoot more then once or twice a month. The ammo I shoot at the 2-300 I could be shooting at the 600. No big deal and wouldn’t expect this group to understand.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 PM

Have faith Righteous!

The ultimate marksmanship challenge is what they call an EIC match. No sighting shots, no alibis (re-shoots) and 50 shots total from various positions at 200, 300 and 600 yards. you also have to figure the wind out.

It is not unusual to see guys twiddling with their sights and mumbling to themselves during an EIC match.

Glad to have you out, no matter how you like to shoot!
Closed Thread