Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 PM

No reason why not. It is so fast that its maximum charges are small, making metering consistency of the Clays flakes more of a challenge that metering some other powders, and you can't safely use enough to produce the highest velocities. But for short-range target shooting, you don't always need those things and it is economical because of the smaller charge weights used.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
No reason why not. It is so fast that its maximum charges are small, making metering consistency of the Clays flakes more of a challenge that metering some other powders, and you can't safely use enough to produce the highest velocities. But for short-range target shooting, you don't always need those things and it is economical because of the smaller charge weights used.
Right, im not looking for max velocity. I basically only shoot CMP service pistol style shooting at 25 and 50 yards with 185 SWC at around 800fps if that?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 AM

I picked up some Clays to try in .45.

I have heard that it has lower felt recoil. I am looking to build a load for steel challenge style shooting.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Right, im not looking for max velocity. I basically only shoot CMP service pistol style shooting at 25 and 50 yards with 185 SWC at around 800fps if that?
Clays is pretty standard for 45 Auto Bullseye loads. For that community, Alliant Bullseye, VV N310, and Clays are probably the top three powders. You will also see Solo 1000 (the old stuff), Win 231, and Titegroup, but those are more rare.

Clays is an excellent, clean-burning powder for target loads, but it is slightly more finicky to meter consistently than Bullseye due to its geometry.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:08 AM

Yep, I use Bulls Eye in .45 ACP, 9mm and .45 Colt. I know it's dirty as heck but you get the best bang for the buck with Bulls Eye.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:56 AM

I like to use Titegroup also. I use it for both .45 ACP and 9 mm.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 PM

I think Titegroup is a little more expensive than Bulls Eye. I don't mind cleaning my weapons after using them even if Bulls Eye is a dirtier powder. I just go for the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Caster View Post
I think Titegroup is a little more expensive than Bulls Eye. I don't mind cleaning my weapons after using them even if Bulls Eye is a dirtier powder. I just go for the biggest bang for the buck.
In my experience, when shooting Plated bullets in my .45s with Titegroup, accuracy was better when loading near the maximum load level.
Now that Win 231/HP38 are available, I have changed back to them.