Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Default M1D scope mount screws

Does anyone have an extra set of USGI screws for the scope mount? Mine are starting to strip. Can they even be found separate?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM

I tried a few years ago to find them after I purchased a mount that was missing one of the screws.

Modern screws of the correct size are commercially available but the Allen wrench that fits them is larger. The originals took a 3/32" Allen wrench. The modern screws take a 7/64". What you want are 6-40x3/8 socket head screws.

I did find a guy a few years ago selling what he said were USGI screws. His screws looked like my USGI screw and not the commercially made screws I purchased but they too took the larger Allen wrench. I asked him about it and according to him later production screws took the larger wrench. I have yet to find any information to confirm this, but if you look up the NSN for the screw the current screw does indeed have the larger opening. Been meaning to start a thread about this. TM 9-1005-222-35 lists the FSN of the screw as being 5305-983-6649. Converted to a NSN that number becomes 5305-00-983-6649. That screw, 5305-00-983-6649, is still available and it takes a 7/64" wrench. Anybody have any proof one way or another on this?

Sorry for the rambling.

Good luck finding them with the smaller hole. If you find a source let me know.

Commercial screws that fit but have a larger hole are readily available. I'm not sure if the guy selling USGI screws that take the 7/64" Allen wrench are still available.

I have a few extras of the commercially available screws. Do you want (free of charge) a couple? If so PM me your address. They work fine and don't strip as easily as the originals.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Last edited by OKC_Jim; 11-11-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity I hope. lol
Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 PM

I've never once seen real USGI M1D screws with the larger Allen head sockets. I don't think they exist. Obviously the guy just wanted to sell you the screws. I have seen new original Italian M1D mount screws with the larger heads.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I've never once seen real USGI M1D screws with the larger Allen head sockets. I don't think they exist.
Define real, Larry. As issued? I am inclined to agree with you. Replacement? The NSN I mentioned above, the part number from the technical manual, gets you a screw with the larger opening.

Just so we are clear on what I am saying, I believe the mounts all came with the small hole screws but I also think is is possible that they went to the large hole screws for replacements. This is based on a NSN from the technical manual that gets you a screw with a large hole. In other words if there is an M1D still in the system that needs a replacement screw the screw that shows up has a large hole if it is a new screw.

Anybody know what size screws the 1" M1D mounts had?