Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Default 1-July

Running late but arrived ~ 9AM with several folks shopping...... plan was to pick out a stripped receiver and turn the pile of parts in the shop into a Garand. However, Leon admonished me to buy more than ammo this time because "it's been a slow week and we may not be able to pay the light bill". OK, no HRA SG Special with LMR barrel in the rack, so I sauntered on back to the SA SG rack and spotted a seriffed stock! MW gauged at <1 so we headed to the counter: SA barrel, SA bolt, SA op rod, only non-SA parts were the trigger housing and hammer (both HRA). Just so happens I have those parts in a SA trigger assembly at home so of course I made a $595 payment to keep the lights burning another week. Leon said that rack (49 slots) was full Wednesday but nearly half were gone today, all but three of those sold had USGI furniture. Looked like all of the HRA SG's were wearing orange.

Back home, it didn't take long to sweat out the cosmoline from the stock and action (high 90's & sunny while I planted peas in the garden). It's a beauty! Leon said the CMP JCA match in Bremen on the 16th will be at 200 yds for the first time, so it'll be a great time to try out today's treasure (will be my first time at that distance).

Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th,
Steve
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
Leon said that rack (49 slots) was full Wednesday but nearly half were gone today, all but three of those sold had USGI furniture. Looked like all of the HRA SG's were wearing orange.
Sounds like they are not restocking the racks.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Did they have any Garand's in Service Grade Specials in the racks?
I may take the trip instead of mail order to try and me one with a low ME and TE# instead of mail order.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM

They had a full rack or two of SA SGS when I was there today right as they were closing.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
Running late but arrived ~ 9AM with several folks shopping...... plan was to pick out a stripped receiver and turn the pile of parts in the shop into a Garand. However, Leon admonished me to buy more than ammo this time because "it's been a slow week and we may not be able to pay the light bill". OK, no HRA SG Special with LMR barrel in the rack, so I sauntered on back to the SA SG rack and spotted a seriffed stock! MW gauged at <1 so we headed to the counter: SA barrel, SA bolt, SA op rod, only non-SA parts were the trigger housing and hammer (both HRA). Just so happens I have those parts in a SA trigger assembly at home so of course I made a $595 payment to keep the lights burning another week. Leon said that rack (49 slots) was full Wednesday but nearly half were gone today, all but three of those sold had USGI furniture. Looked like all of the HRA SG's were wearing orange.

Back home, it didn't take long to sweat out the cosmoline from the stock and action (high 90's & sunny while I planted peas in the garden). It's a beauty! Leon said the CMP JCA match in Bremen on the 16th will be at 200 yds for the first time, so it'll be a great time to try out today's treasure (will be my first time at that distance).

Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th,
Steve
Was it always at only 100 yards?

Sounds like a good catch, congrats on the rifle.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Sounds like they are not restocking the racks.
I'm hoping they fill fill up the racks full of gems after the 4th holiday as I have someone doing me a BIG favor and shopping for me.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 AM

340: at least a dozen each of SA and HRA Service Grade Specials; all the HRASGS gauged right at 1, didn't check the SASGS (already have one).

Trax: yes, the previous JCG matches at Bremen (Waco) were all at 100 yds.