Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Did any M1 carbines come back from Vietnam?

Were the carbines sent over there 100% Aid or did the SV Govt buy them?

https://youtu.be/L1_MRn9LQcY
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM

I believe these were provided as aid? Someone will provide a more accurate answer I'm sure.

As far as all the carbines that were captured by the North Vietnamese after they overran South Vietnam, I'm guessing the majority were either put into storage with maybe a small number being issued to police or other militia types? It has been a long time since hostilities ended and relations between the United States and Vietnam have improved. Will we ever see any of these M1 carbines or M1 rifles returned/sold back to the US? Who knows never say never.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:09 AM

Those were rode hard and put away wet I'm sure. Those that are left are probably still in use today over there. The supply of excess milsurps from WWII will not last forever but who knows.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM

There were 793k M1/M2 Carbines documented as transferred to Vietnam between 1963-1973. Roughly half were MAP. That would not include any transferred prior or maybe left behind by the French. Either way, they wouldn't be MAP anymore since they're spoils of war.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbinesnara.html
Old 10-02-2019, 03:56 PM

I'm sure with that vast number you will find a mix of conditions ranging from complete junk to usable functioning carbines. No matter the condition it would still be great to have any number of these "back home" in the US.

Vietnam could well be interested in cold hard cash and may sell these surplus weapons someday? No one here ever thought we would see M1 Carbines returned from such countries as El Salvador and Uruguay. CMP received those and sold them some years back. The returns from Italy, Greece and the Bavarian carbines may have been less of a surprise but still no one saw those coming. You can not rule out M1 Carbines or M1 Rifles coming out of Vietnam someday.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:16 PM

I know of an M2 that came back. Excellent condition and registered. In a collection today...
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Default See the Link included for more information RE:M1/M2 left in Vietnam

Back in June of 2018 I started a topic on Milsurps about a article I'd read in American rifleman. The story written by Tom Laemlein, claimed 1,5 mil M1/M2 Carbines had been left in Vietnam at Wars end in 1975.
There are many comments, pictures, supply records, time lines and Data from many members who contributed. Much to lengthy to post here, so I'll leave a link below.
It's a good read with many view points, some from Veterans who were there and includes some of their experiences. I believe it will be helpful.
Be sure to see reply #13 where you can see the condition of some of the carbines used in the (2014) 60th anniversary parade celebrating the North Vietnam victory over the French (1954?) at the battle of Dien Bien Phu.
I believe it helps show how crafty they were at using, maintaining and modifying Armaments collected by various means from many countries.... be them friend or foe.

Charlie-Painter777

Link: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=64979
Old 10-03-2019, 07:50 PM

In my year over there(May 70 to May 71) I ended up with 2 carbines, one was always hung on my Huey seat as I wanted more than my 38. Both had been sawed off a little past the bayonet lug and the stocks were cut off right before the grip area.By that time all the ARVNs had M16s.I never saw any Garands,but one of the crew chiefs had a BAR he scrounged up and one pilot picked up a grease gun to carry.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:33 PM

Default Carbines in Vietnam

Lucky52,
Thank you for your service.

Here is a video from The Big Picture produced by the Army, available from The National Archives.
It shows how US arms were issued to the Mountainous Tribal Montagnards when we started there as advisers. They were being trained to protect themselves from the Viet Cong.

It has it's share of expected 'Propaganda' of the time.
But plenty of looks at USGI weapons.

https://archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.1174345

Charlie-Painter777
Old 10-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks 777,I,líll check it out.