Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Exclamation **SHIPPING and TAX -- South store warning -- Please Read!

We were at the South Store this morning and, I found a 44 FG with correct bbl that will go with a 44 Jeep. We were shocked to learn that CMP would NOT ship (even though the price includes shipping) AND you then have to pay the 10% sales tax. Before we left Mike was able to get a concession to ship for anyone that came by air and could show a ticket. A fellow that came on a motorcycle might have been able to get an exception also, but hadn't when we left. Mike was also trying to get the situation changed.

Everyone should check on the latest and be prepared!

Did I miss a memo or something?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC W View Post
We were at the South Store this morning and, I found a 44 FG with correct bbl that will go with a 44 Jeep. We were shocked to learn that CMP would NOT ship (even though the price includes shipping) AND you then have to pay the 10% sales tax. Before we left Mike was able to get a concession to ship for anyone that came by air and could show a ticket. A fellow that came on a motorcycle might have been able to get an exception also, but hadn't when we left. Mike was also trying to get the situation changed.

Everyone should check on the latest and be prepared!

Did I miss a memo or something?
For what it's worth at the GCA meeting at Talladega on Sept 24th the CMP had a sale set up in one of the classrooms in the clubhouse. Lots of interesting FGs. Anyway we were told they wanted us to pay for the rifles including sales tax and take them with us. They did not want to ship but their computer was down for taking credit/debit cards. I was told I could write a check but didn't have my checkbook with me. They ended up shipping rifles and ammo for most people I think. It sounded to me like they didn't want to but the computer problem forced them to. Then I never received the usual tracking numbers, I emailed customer service for them but got no response. No idea what is going on with this.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 10-13-2016, 07:17 PM

What is the theory behind this? I can understand that they may not want to go to the trouble to ship, but the shipping is already built into the price. What if someone is down there on business in a company car and is not allowed to transport a rifle due to policy? What if someone rides a motorcycle down? There are all kinds of issues that this could cause. Exemptions are great and all, but if they can ship for one person, they can ship for all . This is especially true since the buyer has already paid for insurance.

ETA: I just wanted to clarify that I'm not so much complaining for me, as it will not likely affect me, but more for those that this will affect. It just seems like a discount for the cost of shipping should be given to those that are required to take the rifle home with them from the store if this is the new policy.

Last edited by bsmith918; 10-13-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:30 PM

We bought a FG last Saturday (10/8) and we were also told that they were not shipping. Paying the 10% tax kinda sucked but at the same time it was nice taking the rifle home with us.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith918 View Post
What is the theory behind this? I can understand that they may not want to go to the trouble to ship, but the shipping is already built into the price.
Perhaps the sticking point lies with the fact that the purchasers were in the state of Alabama at the exact moment they purchased their rifles. Sales tax is normally levied at the time of purchase, isn't it?

Now I understand that shipping is already built into the price, but maybe the CMP has decided that using that as a loophole to avoid charging sales tax to people inside the state who are actually buying taxable goods may be a bit too loophole-ish for comfort's sake.

How did Alabama get a 10 percent sales tax in the first place? Is there a state income tax in Alabama?

Last edited by TSimonetti; 10-13-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Perhaps the sticking point lies with the fact that the purchasers were in the state of Alabama at the exact moment they purchased their rifles. Sales tax is normally levied at the time of purchase, isn't it?

Now I understand that shipping is already built into the price, but maybe the CMP has decided that using that as a loophole to avoid charging sales tax to people inside the state who are actually buying non-essential taxable items may be a bit too loophole-ish for comfort's sake
I assumed that those that reside in Alabama would have to pay sales tax regardless of shipping. Maybe I'm wrong, but agree if some citizens of Alabama were able to use shipping as a loophole.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith918 View Post
I assumed that those that reside in Alabama would have to pay sales tax regardless of shipping. Maybe I'm wrong, but agree if some citizens of Alabama were able to use shipping as a loophole.
I don't understand how any Alabama resident could figure that they should not owe any sales tax on a $700-$1,000 purchase within the state.... If the CMP ever encouraged such a mindset in any way, they were obviously mistaken in doing so, but they seem to be correcting the problem in any case.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 10-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 PM

The computer had already taken my credit card, I had paid and was checking my shipping address when I was told no shipping. I guess I could have backed out, but that '44 FG would be perfect for the '44 MB Jeep, so I chose to go forward with the purchase. I paid for shipping I didn't get and paid the 10% too, but, with the opportunities to find anything at all fading, we have to make difficult choices.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:08 PM

Don't know what changed, but until this if you paid and took a rifle you paid sales tax no matter where you were from or were going.
If you paid and shipped to anywhere but AL no sales tax.
If you paid and shipped to AL you paid sales tax.

There were no loopholes where you could avoid tax if you were an AL resident.
I'm sure CMP will explain why they did this. If they don't explain that's OK as well.
JH
Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Alabama State sales tax is 4%. The counties and cities set their own rates.
It adds up to 10% in Anniston, 9% in Huntsville, for example. Residents of Alabama must pay the 4% on all purchases even if shipped. Shipping does save the other 6% but that is not a loophole and consider that shipping is included and the 4% is includes the amount of shipping as well. If one pays the shipping and elects to take the rifle with them, then the 10% IS charged. If you pay the shipping and don't ship it, that is up to you to decide, except for today, when there were no options.
Also consider that if a person is from another state and has the rifle shipped to that state, there is NO sales tax charged.
Georgia residents, for example, could be from as close as 35-40 miles from the store, have the rifle shipped, and there is no tax. Not a loophole either, just the way the laws are.
I don't have a problem with it, I just would have liked to have known in advance that that was the way it was going to be.
Closed Thread