Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Not to side track the thread too much but where do Krags fit into the heat treat picture? I haven’t heard of much/any debate on them and they are a single lug bolt which could add to the safety of them....just curious
Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales1 View Post
So, my Springfield 1903 which I have just acquired,serial no. 149xxxx is safe to fire ??
Perhaps or perhaps not but the rifle receiver sn# is in the high number range.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Not to side track the thread too much but where do Krags fit into the heat treat picture? I havenít heard of much/any debate on them and they are a single lug bolt which could add to the safety of them....just curious
One factor is that the design of the receiver ring is different. Most 03 receiver failures occurred when a cartridge head failure lets large amounts of escaping, high pressure gases into the locking area of the receiver ring which blows it apart. The Krag doesn't have that setup; it is much like the Garand design that has the locking surfaces located outside the ring. Garand was aware of the receiver ring failures of the 03 and may have designed his receiver the way he did to avoid receiver ring ruptures from defective ammunition. The rear locking, Lee Enfield also does not suffer from receiver ring failures.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:15 PM

Springfield Armory states in the documents that they started double heat treatment between 750,000 and 780,000. Since they werent 100% sure they stated 800,000 to be safe. But it was done before then.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 AM

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/
Old 11-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Not to side track the thread too much but where do Krags fit into the heat treat picture? I havenít heard of much/any debate on them and they are a single lug bolt which could add to the safety of them....just curious
I've never heard of a Krag heat treatment issue. But you should not load to near max on them because of the single lug bolt.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:53 PM

So the post-war metallurgists declare all M1903s made from carbon steel to be unsafe to shoot. That memo must have been stuck in a drawer all this time.