Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Default The "Correct" Garand

There seems to be a desperate fad among Garand owners to spend their time trolling the internet in search of parts to make their rifle "Correct". While i understand this to some extent... the joy of having a rifle look like it came straight from the fields of WW2... I don't see how a rifle can be called correct at that point. So you found all the matching numbered parts and put them together into one weapon... in all honesty it is a parts gun... even more so than when it had been rebuilt by the military. It now has been mix-matched yet another time and probably by an individual owner who does not have the proper tools and training to do as good of a job as military armorers. It possibly may now contain heavily worn parts that have been re-parked and sold on ebay...even if the parts are good and installed by an expert, they came from different guns and that fact will always remain. Garands that honestly still have every screw and pin that they left the factory with are rare and undeniably cool... but i feel like the gun market is becoming so saturated with parts guns that imitate this look, you would never know if you saw the geniune article. I personally think that guns rebuilt by the government and left that way are actually far better examples of genuine service rifles than the ones that have been "corrected". Different strokes for different folks i guess...
Old 10-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Really? ��
Old 10-12-2019, 12:28 PM

I’d quibble with the letter of your post - those are the definition of “correct.” Meaning no more and no less than that all the ‘correct’ parts are present and making no pretense towards ‘original’ (although of course, that’s the impression some sellers try to give - caveat emptor).

Having quibbled with the letter, I personally agree with the spirit. I lucked into very nice models 1873, 1898, and 1903; my 1896, 03A3, and M1’s (Garands and carbines) are rebuilds to varying degrees and I have no intention of altering them from the way they may have left their service (or the CMP).

In fact, I tend to gravitate towards the honest rebuild mixmasters, and let those examples set my price points. If I stumble upon something that appears correct/corrected for a similar price, by all means; but I’m very much aware of my knowledge deficiencies and thus shy away from paying premiums for something advertised as “correct.”

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 10-12-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 PM

I like correct rifles, and good US depot rebuilds. Don't care for corrected items but I get the fun in doing it.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:58 PM

How do you know it was rebuilt by the government & left that way? Lots of garands are built from bare receivers. No history there.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM

I have corrected an ihc, several SA's, and am now working on a couple of win's. I have the corrected rifles in a case, and should I come across better quality or better matching parts, they go on. Are they original, as the day they left the factory? No. Did I probably spend more than I could recoup? Probably. BUT going through these has provided me a great tool tool to research and learn, and yes, I do love the appearance of these old warhorses, now looking like they are still young and in the stables.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM

if you ever stood in the old South Store when the Greeks were there you would get it.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Smile

I'm throwing in a new twist on this, I found a beat up double stamp GAW/DAS at a gunshow had no home for it, just found it interesting, then stumbled across the correct BR for it, GAW SN, with a SA-65 leg etching, had matching handguards for it, so I will finish it as a 60's SA rebuild would be. I guess it would be called a rebuild correction ???
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=208462

Last edited by Joturkey; 10-12-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Have a number of nice CMP sourced M-1's. All SG. All as received with one exception. Have a 5.9 SA M-1 SG that I bought to give to my brother. Needed only a proper post-war stock set to have the rifle nicely fixed up. My brother died before I could finish it. Now the rifle is "correct." Only part changed was the stock/hand-guards, gas cylinder lock and screw. Cannot see that as a big problem. Looks much better with the additions. Function is 100% as was the case when the rifle was first received. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:14 PM

I get so tired of some new guy with very few posts complaining about how some people who have been collecting Garands for over 30 years chose to enjoy this hobby. People have been bringing these old mixmasters back to correct configuration since the early years of Garand collecting. The only reason there is such a wealth of information on M1 Garands is because of all the research done by these people to find out just what parts are, or are not, correct for each phase of Garand production. They do it because they are interested in the history of the rifle. The M1 Garand was, at the time of WWII, the best combat rifle used by any army, but today it is just fun to shoot and tinker with. You can target shoot with it but there are better and more accurate rifles for that. You can hunt with it, but there are better and easier to carry rifles for that. If I want to shoot for accuracy my AR is more accurate. When I go hunting I choose a Remington 700. When I want to just go over to the range a shoot a few round for fun I use a Garand. In this day and age where a Garand shines is in its historical significance. That is where the fun is in correcting a Garand and why so many people enjoy doing it. Bringing it back to what it was like during its important period of history. No one makes money correcting a Garand, and I don't know of anyone who does it in hopes of showing a profit. They do it so they can say, This is what it would have looked like when it first came from the factory during WWII, notice the uncut slant side op rod, notice the lock bar sight, notice the cartouche stamped in the stock, etc. There is a difference between an original and a correct rifle. Very few people have seen, or will ever see, an original M1 Garand, especially one from WWII production. On the other hand, people who are interested in the historical significance of these rifles may very well be able to see close up what an original WWII rifle was like by viewing a corrected example. May I suggest the original poster should just go ahead and enjoy his mixmaster, being content that it may have been rebuilt by a government facility and if so is representative of an arsenal rebuild. May I also suggest that there are a lot of collectors who are interested in the manufacturing history of these rifles and enjoy the research and parts gathering required to enjoy the correcting side of Garand collecting. These are the people who really understand and have great knowledge about these old guns. Many people are satisified to just own and shoot their Garand and that is just fine too

Last edited by aimit; 10-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.