Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Shomway Shomway is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,183
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
I get so tired of some new guy with very few posts complaining about how some people who have been collecting Garands for over 30 years chose to enjoy this hobby. People have been bringing these old mixmasters back to correct configuration since the early years of Garand collecting. The only reason there is such a wealth of information on M1 Garands is because of all the research done by these people to find out just what parts are, or are not, correct for each phase of Garand production. They do it because they are interested in the history of the rifle. The M1 Garand was, at the time of WWII, the best combat rifle used by any army, but today it is just fun to shoot and tinker with. You can target shoot with it but there are better and more accurate rifles for that. You can hunt with it, but there are better and easier to carry rifles for that. If I want to shoot for accuracy my AR is more accurate. When I go hunting I choose a Remington 700. When I want to just go over to the range a shoot a few round for fun I use a Garand. In this day and age where a Garand shines is in its historical significance. That is where the fun is in correcting a Garand and why so many people enjoy doing it. Bringing it back to what it was like during its important period of history. No one makes money correcting a Garand, and I don't know of anyone who does it in hopes of showing a profit. They do it so they can say, This is what it would have looked like when it first came from the factory during WWII, notice the uncut slant side op rod, notice the lock bar sight, notice the cartouche stamped in the stock, etc. There is a difference between an original and a correct rifle. Very few people have seen, or will ever see, an original M1 Garand, especially one from WWII production. On the other hand, people who are interested in the historical significance of these rifles may very well be able to see close up what an original WWII rifle was like by viewing a corrected example. May I suggest the original poster should just go ahead and enjoy his mixmaster, being content that it may have been rebuilt by a government facility and if so is representative of an arsenal rebuild. May I also suggest that there are a lot of collectors who are interested in the manufacturing history of these rifles and enjoy the research and parts gathering required to enjoy the correcting side of Garand collecting. These are the people who really understand and have great knowledge about these old guns. Many people are satisified to just own and shoot their Garand and that is just fine too
Well said..... Thanks!
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:50 PM
nf1e nf1e is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,304
Default

Glad to see some realize the difference between a correct M1 and a corrected M1 parts gun. It all depends on the meaning of is is as noted by a former POTUS.
__________________
Semper Fi
Art
Sgt USMC 66 -72
RVN 67-68
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM
erbob erbob is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 64
Default

Back in the mid 1950s, in the U.S. Army, I was in Small Arms Repair stationed at Fort Richardson, in Anchorage. When we had Garands, Carbines or any other firearm in for repair, rebuild or whatever, we NEVER replaced any part by checking who manufactured the particular replacement part. Those replacement parts were in proper bins and wed merely grab the needed part (of ANY manufacture) and apply it to the firearm being serviced. Many many times, the part we used to replace the defective part was also a used part but had been previously checked to make sure was within tolerances. We were not even aware of who manufactured the part, we just applied the parts and placed the completed repaired weapon in the OK to go rack. Perhaps when the serviced weapons left our facility they were then safety and fire function checked.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
nf1e nf1e is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbob View Post
Back in the mid 1950s, in the U.S. Army, I was in Small Arms Repair stationed at Fort Richardson, in Anchorage. When we had Garands, Carbines or any other firearm in for repair, rebuild or whatever, we NEVER replaced any part by checking who manufactured the particular replacement part. Those replacement parts were in proper bins and wed merely grab the needed part (of ANY manufacture) and apply it to the firearm being serviced. Many many times, the part we used to replace the defective part was also a used part but had been previously checked to make sure was within tolerances. We were not even aware of who manufactured the part, we just applied the parts and placed the completed repaired weapon in the OK to go rack. Perhaps when the serviced weapons left our facility they were then safety and fire function checked.
Pretty much the same for the M14. As long as the square peg went in the square hole and the round in the round, we were good to go just as these rifles were designed for interchangeable parts.
__________________
Semper Fi
Art
Sgt USMC 66 -72
RVN 67-68
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM
trapperjohn17404 trapperjohn17404 is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 561
Default

Does the DCM or CMP change out parts or do they sell them "just as recieved" from the US Government? I volunteered at CMP and inspected many rifles and yes they change out parts for various reasons. So the notion of "we are going to leave the rifle alone just as received from the Government" isn't totally that way.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Joturkey Joturkey is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chenequa, WI
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn17404 View Post
Does the DCM or CMP change out parts or do they sell them "just as recieved" from the US Government? I volunteered at CMP and inspected many rifles and yes they change out parts for various reasons. So the notion of "we are going to leave the rifle alone just as received from the Government" isn't totally that way.
Saw the video on them receiving the Philippine returns, I would pay double just to get my hands on one just as it came back, rust and all.

Last edited by Joturkey; 10-12-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Aflyer111 Aflyer111 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Delavan, WI
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
Saw the video on them receiving the Philippine returns, I would pay double just to get my hands on one just as it came back, rust and all.
Order a field grade. I just got 3 that looked like they have been in a crate for 50 years. Love them, filth and all.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Kestrel4k Kestrel4k is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
I get so tired of some new guy with very few posts complaining about how some people who have been collecting Garands for over 30 years chose to enjoy this hobby. [...]
After reading just the first sentence of your post, I pretty much knew I'd agree with every part of the remainder as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredwhiteblue View Post
There seems to be a desperate fad among Garand owners to spend their time trolling the internet in search of parts to make their rifle "Correct". [...]
Different strokes for different folks i guess...
So feel free to take your own conclusion / advice, and apply it to the rest of your premise.

You've done a great job of planting your own flag here, so don't be surprised when others follow your own shining example by walking up to pee on yours.
__________________
Kestrel4k feedback thread
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 PM
jsweaver jsweaver is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 410
Default

Please give oldredwhiteblue a break. He is just stating his opinion. I did not take his post as a belittlement of others preference. Just stating his preference. Seems that we should be a little understanding of his view. New or not he deserves everyone's respect.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Det. Jason 714 Det. Jason 714 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 6,680
Default

I'm of the opinion that it's your property and you can do what you want with it. Leave it as recieved or find the correct parts. It makes no difference to me, it's yours to enjoy. It's a hobby.
__________________
"Let Freedom PING!"
Over 70 plus Positive feedbacks before removal of Itrader.
RIP Itrader 2/24/14 you are not forgotten.

Last edited by Det. Jason 714; 10-12-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.