Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 AM

If you want to see dirty try Bullseye and cast bullets. Found the best solution was to clean a bit more frequently.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Bpm32,

Yes to all your comments. It's still on topic, as it has to do with how dirty the burn of anything is. The thing with nitroglycerine is it actually has a slightly positive oxygen balance, so it helps make up a little of the oxygen deficit in the combustion of a powder's nitrocellulose species. That's part of how it adds to powder energy content. However, from the fouling produced, you wouldn't think that was so. I believe that occurs because, requiring less energy input to initiate nitroglycerine combustion, it lowers the temperature of the burn. About 500F lower, IIRC.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 10-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Some manuals list IMR Trail Boss for use with ..45 ACP Cast Lead Bullets.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Hp38,cleaning is cleaning. No big job. A few swipes bingo done. I use Balistol oil and clean with it as well.

Last edited by bandofM1; 10-20-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:23 PM

For good cast bullets try Master Cast Enon PA. 724-336-6565
Old 10-20-2019, 11:40 PM

I've used AA 2, formerly No 2, for over 10 years. It's clean burning in 45ACP. It's not position sensitive. That's the only powder I use for 200 cast SWCs.
Any "dirt' comes from the lubricant.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Hp38,cleaning is cleaning. No big job. A few swipes bingo done. I use Balistol oil and clean with it as well.
I use WW231 (same powder) and agree.

When I shot USPSA, I shot almost 750 rounds per week during the season between practice and matches. I cleaned once per year, other than a wipe down of the exterior after every shooting session.

No problems, no buildups.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageguy View Post
I've used AA 2, formerly No 2, for over 10 years. It's clean burning in 45ACP. It's not position sensitive. That's the only powder I use for 200 cast SWCs.
Any "dirt' comes from the lubricant.

Yes. On another forum someone just posted a lot of photos of 45 Auto cases fired with different powders and AA 2 was clearly the cleanest one he had. Universal and Trail Boss weren't among them. IME, Trail Boss is cleaner than anything else, as 45 Auto cases came out bright inside and not a trace of carbon, but you can't fit enough in for more than light loads.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member

Last edited by Unclenick; 11-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:36 PM

I may be old school, and not into "modern, clean" powders, but I always believed if you don't want any GSR or soot, don't shoot firearms. Some things just are. I'm not sure as I'm no physicist, but everything that burns leaves some residue. I clean my guns after every shooting session and never experienced any gun failures after firing 300-350 rounds, even with light loads of Unique in my 45 ACPs. The ranges I frequent have bathrooms with soap and water and I have rags in my range bag. When I'm out in the hills shooting I take water, rags and paper towels (water and PTs stay in my truck, just in case). All powders leave some residue, some more than others, and light loads are the biggest offenders. But, I choose powders by the performance in my guns and not how clean I or my guns stay (ever shoot a 44 cal. black powder revolver?).

My apologies for my rant, just couldn't resist commenting in another "I want clean burning powder" thread...
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Why no Clays for 45acp.
I use it and it works out great. Is it Dirty? These are things I generally dont notice unless something happens inside 10 rounds.