Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 07:32 PM

If you want a little Mosin-Nagant "humor, try this - it still raises a laugh about 10 years after I read it - the AK vs. the AR vs. the Moisin-Nagant:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Talking

Thanks for sharing, I'm not gonna ask which ones you own!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 PM

#2 and #3!
Old 11-06-2019, 10:16 PM

everyone should own at least one Mosin!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
everyone should own at least one Mosin!
And a real, not put together sniper is a great rifle. Excellent trigger, smooth bolt and accurate.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:47 PM

I have an M38, M44, and a Dragoon Hex 91/30. Mosin's will teach you the fine art of how to clean cosmoline from every possible nook you can find.

Mosin's are known for having "sticky" bolts that come from shooting the Russian steel cased ammo which has a lacquered finish.

Look for a round vs. hex receiver. And in addition to the manufacturer mark look for additional lines of text up to five lines which are more rare. My Dragoon has five lines of Russian text.

Finally look for a square with a diagonal line through the square which is their version of an arsenal rebuild mark stamped into the wood stock somewhere.

Here is a good resource http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm
Old 11-07-2019, 05:16 PM

The prices you listed are what the vendors online are charging. Do your research on the sniper as many were put together by CAI.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 PM

I have several but my favorite is a 91/59. Usually a late WW2 dated 91/30 that have been over stamped 91/59. A tell tale sign of a real one, is a long rear sight ramp that has part of the distance markings milled away!!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Hi Fellow posters,

I got into various M/N models early, when they were still low cost.

I'm sure many of you have taken the time to clear the stock forend's & work on proper bedding & triggers of the Russian rifles. Some of them were just set up WRONG by make a production rate. It's incredible how well the Russian barrel will shoot when it's properly fitted to the stock. The Finn rifles are usually better across the board.
My pal ruined a guys day years ago, the fellow was shooting scoped a AR-15 (223) & M-14 (308) rifles. He shot tighter groups with his $59 iron sighted M/N 91-30 at 100, 200 & 300 yards. The other guy just looked at each target & never said a word!

The winning edge is usually the guy behind the rifle then the rifle!

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Fellow posters,

I got into various M/N models early, when they were still low cost.

I'm sure many of you have taken the time to clear the stock forend's & work on proper bedding & triggers of the Russian rifles. Some of them were just set up WRONG by make a production rate. It's incredible how well the Russian barrel will shoot when it's properly fitted to the stock. The Finn rifles are usually better across the board.
My pal ruined a guys day years ago, the fellow was shooting scoped a AR-15 (223) & M-14 (308) rifles. He shot tighter groups with his $59 iron sighted M/N 91-30 at 100, 200 & 300 yards. The other guy just looked at each target & never said a word!

The winning edge is usually the guy behind the rifle then the rifle!

Enjoy every day,
broom
Similar experience here actually. I have both modern stuff and collectible milsurp stuff, but for whatever reason, I just shoot lights out with my 1944 91/30 ex-sniper, like no other gun that I own. It feels ridiculous considering the $75 price I paid for it many years ago, but it is what it is.