Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Default Value of a Letter?

I have a very nice all matching 1956 National Match Garand I am considering selling. It has no import markings. Does a DCM letter increase the value? It also comes with a pre-fitted extra barrel and op-rod. It has less than 200 rounds fired through it, I would guess.

I'd keep it but I have another one that means more to me. A gunsmith friend accurized it for his own cast bullet shooting and gave it to me. He refinished the rifle with Tru-Oil, so it's less valuable to a collector but it shoots quite well.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:30 PM

A USGI National Match Garand is worth several times what a post military made NM gun is worth. The only way to positively assure the gun is USGI made is through documentation (usually CMP or DCM paper). However there is the case where a USGI NM has been "improved" by a real or home gunsmith which will also significantly decade the originality and value of the gun.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:31 PM

If the letter clearly states that the rifle was sold by the DCM, and as a National Match, then yes, the letter will increase the value.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Yes. It has a photocopy of the original sales document. It clearly states it was sold in 1956 as a National Match Garand.

What do you guys think about the accompanying spare barrel and op-rod?

I am no expert, but I believe it's not been messed with. It was essentially unfired when I bought it. I knew the seller fairly well. He sold me the rifle, the parts, a grocery bag of linked .30-06 and a handful of clips. Showed me how to load the clips and told me to go out and shoot it. I only shot it once or twice, probably not 100 rounds...I never actually shot any of that machine gun ammunition. I still have all the links.

Last edited by RCE1; 11-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Is it a Type 1 or a Type 2?? . . . .

Any sign of glass bedding anywhere?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Is it a Type 1 or a Type 2?? . . . .

Any sign of glass bedding anywhere?
No bedding to be seen, although I've not taken it apart. Since the bill of sale is July 1956, it wouldn't be a type 2. In fact, it has a rather low serial number, 538xxxx. Does this give a better idea?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
No bedding to be seen, although I've not taken it apart. Since the bill of sale is July 1956, it wouldn't be a type 2. In fact, it has a rather low serial number, 538xxxx. Does this give a better idea?

Bedding was not allowed by the NBPRP until the 1960 Season.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:36 AM

What is a "pre-fitted" M1 barrel?
Old 11-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Really need detailed pictures of the rifle.What do you mean by "A gunsmith friend accurized it for his own cast bullet shooting" ? You also say he tru oiled the stock, wonder what else has been done?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM

I have two Garands. One is the NM with extra barrel and op rod, the other is one that my friend worked over. I'm keeping the one that's been customized. I may sell the National Match that hasn't been messed with, depending on circumstances and what it seems to be worth.