Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
What is a "pre-fitted" M1 barrel?
The National Match came with an extra barrel and op rod. I was told they had been mated to the rifle, but any of that happened long before I got it. The guy I bought it from was an old high power shooter, among other interests, and he implied the parts would be useful in case of a failure under match circumstances. As far as I know, he didn't use this rifle as he owned others as well.

In his prime, the original owner was one of the better offhand shooters in the country.

I do have some really detailed pictures and will put up an album when I get back to my home computer at the end of the week.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Might just be, you have a Type 1 NM! . . .

If truly “unmolested” (including the sights) I’d value it at about $5,000.

Bear in mind, MOST Type1’s were UPGRADED to Type 2’s.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Sorry it took so long to get this link up.

An album of images featuring the NM Garand...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xg5KfpNNgoJ7s2ur9
Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM

By the pictures, not an original type 1 anymore. The sights have been changed. Any other parts changed? I suspect it could have a unitized hand guard if the previous owner was a shooter.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:26 AM

All I know is what you see. I've not taken it apart.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
All I know is what you see. I've not taken it apart.
Richard,

You're not understanding all this. Before a collector pays $4,500 or more for a Type 1 NM, you have to show everything that's not seen on the surface. As mentioned it's already been 'upgraded' with full NM sights and it looks like the stock has been coated with something. The latter is a major downgrade. If it's been glass-bedded then it's value has been downgraded again and it's no longer an original NM1 and it's collector value as a Type 2 NM is also questionable and up for debate.

An additional mated barrel does not add to any value, it simply means the rifle has been tinkered with which for a shooter is great but not for a serious collector.

You need to take it out of the stock to see if it's been glass-bedded first and foremost.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanks. This is all interesting information. I've had some family matters that assumed a higher priority for this week. I understand perfectly, by the way.

If you recall, I've never made any claims about this rifle, other than that it was sold by the CMP in 1956 as a NM Garand. I have a letter that documents this. It seems to be in nice shape. Also, it was sold to me by a friend and he included a spare barrel and op-rod as well as a grocery bag full of linked .30-06 cartridges (which I never fired, by the way). Other than that, I'm just looking for information, which I have been generously granted by you knowledgable participants in this forum. I haven't even offered it for sale as of yet, although I may well at some time in the future.

I can see I need to take it apart and get some more photos, which I am happy to do once I get over my family visits.

Last edited by RCE1; 11-12-2019 at 11:18 AM.