Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Default XM-3, Need help finding soldier that used it!

Hey guys,

Ive come into possession of a CMP auction XM-3 and tried doing some research on the information I could scrounge from the data book, gun log, gun case, and firearm.

A sticker on the front side of the case lists a Cisneros and and a Frazure. I did a little digging and found there was a Cisneros KIA in Iraq around this time. Not sure if this is the guy that had possession of the piece but got me thinking that I would like to help out the family any way I can or connect the gun back with the shooter that used it and give him some range time with something I bet he was hard pressed to leave.

Anyways I have a little info to share and if y'all have any info that could help it would be mighty generous.

Here is a imgur link of some data book info: https://imgur.com/a/kSI1QVO

Info I have so far:
Case is marked 2 2 so I assume this was with 2-2 Marines. It also has a sticker with the names Cisneros and Frazure on the outside with a tag also marked General Sieben. The log book also mentions a 2112 K.J. Jessee who worked on the gun a bunch in country for the units there.

Log book shows it was in country from 1/26/07 to 12/15/08 at least. In various locations but mostly in FOB/COP Hit and COP Ellis which I know took a lot of fire

Data book shows one of the shooter/spotters was named Smith (I know this is like finding a needle in a haystack)

Anyways, any help y'all could give would be awesome. It looks like the piece has seen a lot and then some and would like to put it back in the hands of the soldier that used it. Thanks
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 PM

The Marine Corps is actually really small. Especially when you talk about 2112s and snipers.

I know some 2112s and snipers. Let me forward this to them.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:16 PM

I think the one "log book" you are referring to is actually entitled the Tube log or something like that. If so, it is just the history for the barrel itself, that is the Tube (barrel) only, not the entire history of the gun. If the barrel is replaced, then tube book is replaced with a new one and that book is restarted anew. So conceptually, the XM-3 might have had the barrel replaced and the tube book would not show any of the history of the earlier barrel. It may be unlikely that the barrel was replaced between the time the scout named Cisneros was killed in action in 2005, and the date your tube log picks up in 2007, but you never know. I would guess your XM-3 was delivered in 2006, but you need to get the delivery date for your gun. Have you talked to Bill Corley, he built many of the 52 originals and he may know where the delivery records that were kept at IBA are now, or he may have his own notes? Also, can I ask you a couple of questions? Can you tell if your XM-3 has the steel or lightweight titanium scope mount rail? Also is the scope mount rail stamped "XM-3" on the right rear side, or is the rail stamped at all? Thanks!

Last edited by navynambu; 11-08-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you by chance have the contact information for Bill? Sounds like I need to talk to him!

Regarding your questions, the gun is currently 2 states away as I am going waterfowl hunting most this week but off of memory it does say XM-3 on one side of the rail although I forget which and I do not believe the scope mount is titanium. But again that is off of memory, I will confirm in a week or two when I am back.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM

I was around Cop Ellis during this timeframe and have reached out to a contact in STA that may be able to assist.

I will let you know if any information is made available.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Bill Corley
Outback Custom Guns And Ammo, 710 Covington Court, Hubert NC 28539