Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Headspace new to me Bolt

I just picked up a straight bolt to go on my 1918, 1903. Man it looks so good on the rifle. I'm concerned with the headspace. I have a set of go and no go clymer guages. I was told it's best to use Clymer because they are milspec. Is that true? This bolt will close on a go no problem. The scary thing is it will close on a no go. However it will stop just before closing and if you use your pinky finger it will close the rest of the way. It's somewhat stopping but it easily closes. I'm debating if it's worth buying a field guage or just using it as is. Do I need to buy Clymer or will Foster do on a field? If it somewhat stops on a no go, is that still considered good?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Based on your description, your rifle's headspace is fine.

Headspace gauges were issued in three lengths: GO, NO GO, and FIELD. New rifles, or new rebuilt rifles, were required to swallow a GO gauge, but not a NO GO or FIELD gauge. A rifle in service, however, was required to not swallow a FIELD gauge, which was longer. So a rifle is not considered worn out until it swallows a FIELD gauge.

You can always double-check headspace by firing a round, then examining the case for signs of stretching or excessive elongation.

J.B.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:29 AM

My feeling is that if you are willing to spend several hundred dollars on a rifle, it is foolish not to spend a few more dollars on the gauges. Buy the FIELD gauge.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Your headspace sounds fine to me. You stop with any resistance. Don't close it with your pinky finger. You are fine. JB is correct.