Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 07:40 PM

I’ve been a custom furniture maker for over 20 years, I’ll give an opinion based on your photo. Steam will not work.
The normal way to repair that type of damage is as follows:
Find some walnut that you can match the grain, a bit thicker than the depth of your gouge damage. Make a rectangle piece that covers the damage, trace around it with a marking knife. Rout/chisel to depth with bottom area as flat as possible. Your rectangle plug is known as a “Dutchman” and should have its bottom edges filed back a little so you get a tight press fit. Glue it in.
A block plane is best to level the plug down to the stock, followed by very light sanding. Now you need to dye/stain the plug to match. That’s tricky so you use scrap samples until you get it about right.
If dyed/stained then you could beat up the plug area gently to look appropriate. Tung oil
finish. An antique restorer could do this work easily. Done correctly it will be unnoticeable. Me? I would leave it as is, oil it up and go.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:23 PM

If I wanted to repair it and Rick B says that it may very well come up with steaming then that's what I would do. Left up to me I'd put that bad boy on a FG as it is and be proud of it.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 PM

About steaming. In the photos the worst damage is crushed fibers and located on the side of the receiver area. This is a thin wall not the wrist or butt area which is all solid wood. This is old wood. You will have to induce steam to a localized thin walled area to the point of saturation. The swelling will be significant. It may not return to its current dimensions and it may be somewhat warped. Will receiver fit afterwards with no affect to accuracy? No way to know. My experience has been that this particular set of circumstances is not for steaming. That said, if OP decides to go that route I hope it works out beautifully. Keep us posted!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Got Mine Today

The stock has no big gouges, scrapes or cracks. It has plenty of scratches and the stamps are weaker than I would prefer. A good cleaning and a coat or two of BLO and it will be a nice FG quality stock. The handguards have no cracks or missing chunks of wood and they match the stock so overall I'm happy with what I received.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that stock at all, lot better than what I got for sure. Mine has a little better stamp but is a LOT rougher. I am still thinking on what to do about the big gouge/dent. May not do a whole lot with it. I don't have a rifle to put it on at the moment. I only have two from the GAW time period and both have better GAW stamped stocks on them now. Am about done with winter prep stuff around here, may fool some with it this weekend. Thanks to both Rick B and Kilo for the information on possible repair and thanks to everyone who looked and commented. I did repair the cracks in both handguards without any problems using a little carpenter glue. Overall not bad for the money but Ronwall came out real well on his.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 11-08-2019, 06:15 PM

I cleaned it up and it's looking better than I thought it would. It has a few dents under the forearm section but I have a wet rag laying on them now and it looks like the dents are starting to lift. Once it dries and I apply a few coats of BLO on it I think it will look good enough for a SG rifle. I have a 2.96 that has a IHC stock on it now so my plans are to put the stock on it.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Probably can't hurt to steam, but my experience is once you start steaming, you're doing the entire stock because the finish gets removed. Mineral spirit rub down followed by some light steel wooling of the damaged area to knock down any sharp edges. Then the oil of your choice, I like RLO, and then leave it alone.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:13 PM

I got my stock cleaned up some, amateur hour but it looks better I think. I used some steam on that damaged area but not a lot, it did come up some and I cleaned it up with some fine sandpaper. The black paint was the worst, had a devil of a time getting that off the butt. I steamed a little in some other places also. I ended up screwing up the finish in a couple area so had to use some walnut stain to try to get it to look ok. Think I managed to feather in the new stain, then I rubbed BLO on it. I tried a receiver in it and the fit seems fine. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Feedback Thread
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 PM

When you steam out dents especially damage as bad as on yours it may take weeks. Its not something that can be done in one try. Even small dents can take several sessions to get them to raise
Old 11-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
When you steam out dents especially damage as bad as on yours it may take weeks. Its not something that can be done in one try. Even small dents can take several sessions to get them to raise
Like I said amateur hour but the dent/gouge is much less noticeable IMO. I didn't want to steam really hard on that area after what the other poster said about the possibility of having a fitment problem with the receiver. There were some small dents besides that one area but those weren't bad.

Feedback Thread