Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Default Advice requested - possible 03A3 purchase

Greetings all,

I’ve come across another 03A3 and was hoping I might get some thoughts /advice on its purchase. Asking price is just under $800. Seller reports an excellent bore; I’m awaiting confirmation of the serial number. I’m particularly curious to know what’s up with the vertical FJA cartouche, and I’m not seeing an RA stamp. Photos:

Pics removed, got answers and rifle’s not mine yet.

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 11-08-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Except for having a replacement bolt assembly, the rifle appears completely original. The bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly is from a Smith-Corona rifle and the bolt body is a Springfield Armory WWII spare replacement. At $800, the rifle is very favorably priced.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Thank your for your insights as always, sir! We shall see what develops. I’m very interested in the rifle, but at the moment the seller has indicated a preference not to ship, and it’d be a drive of a couple of hours to see it in person. If he is willing to negotiate a little given the geographic limitations, or if the rifle is still available in a couple of weeks when I have some time off, I hope to explore it further. Certainly if things fall into place I’ll update!

ETA question answered, I’m going to remove the pics since the gun isn’t mine.

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 11-08-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:57 PM

If stock markings are important to you (strictly a collectors perspective) then I'd make sure the stock and gun are all part of the original assembly and that the rifle had not been "corrected" on someone's kitchen table.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 AM

...which ain't always easy some 75 years after the rifle was made.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
If stock markings are important to you (strictly a collectors perspective) then I'd make sure the stock and gun are all part of the original assembly and that the rifle had not been "corrected" on someone's kitchen table.
Corrected as in the right stock found and placed on that action, or corrected as in fake stamps added?

For the latter, given Mr Beard vouching for the apparent authenticity of the stamps, Iím good. If the former, though, I agree totally, and I, personally, know Iím not knowledgeable enough to tell. Thatís why I generally target rifles that are either advertised as rebuilds/issued/showing wear and tear, or at least are priced that way. Cuts me out of a segment of the available guns, but keeps me from getting (too badly) burned.

This oneís a very reasonable price, and maybe something will happen with it. But seller appears unwilling to negotiate or ship at the moment; I feel like Iíll need a little bit better of a deal to drive 8 hours round trip to see it from my home base. I may be closer in the area during vacations over the holidays, though, so who knows.

Itíd been posted for sale for a month when I came across it. IMHO you can sell for top dollar, or you can restrict it to a local sell, but rarely can you do both. Iím willing to watch and wait for the moment...
Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSnowstorm View Post
Corrected as in the right stock found and placed on that action, or corrected as in fake stamps added?

For the latter, given Mr Beard vouching for the apparent authenticity of the stamps, I’m good. If the former, though, I agree totally, and I, personally, know I’m not knowledgeable enough to tell. That’s why I generally target rifles that are either advertised as rebuilds/issued/showing wear and tear, or at least are priced that way. Cuts me out of a segment of the available guns, but keeps me from getting (too badly) burned.

This one’s a very reasonable price, and maybe something will happen with it. But seller appears unwilling to negotiate or ship at the moment; I feel like I’ll need a little bit better of a deal to drive 8 hours round trip to see it from my home base. I may be closer in the area during vacations over the holidays, though, so who knows.

It’d been posted for sale for a month when I came across it. IMHO you can sell for top dollar, or you can restrict it to a local sell, but rarely can you do both. I’m willing to watch and wait for the moment...

Sorry, should have made myself more clear. Corrected as in someone bought a stock off eBay (or anywhere else) and put it on that rife. There's been a lot of that going on in the last couple decades and it is something that should always be kept in mind if buying a rifle on the grounds of historical accuracy (which may not be important to you).

The stamps are likely original, but I always have to ask if the stock is original to the gun as surplussed by Uncle Sam in either factory or arsenal refinished condition. If not, then the markings have nothing to do with provenance or history of the rifle and its just a random assembly. And that "condition" affects the price.

This is just a cautionary tale of buyer beware. Regardless, best of luck on the potential purchase.

Last edited by S99VG; 11-09-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Why remove the photos?? Once there on the net...

Mike
Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 PM

As I said, the rifleís not mine yet. Thereís no benefit to me providing extra ongoing advertising for the seller, minimal as it may be, and I donít feel particularly compelled to do so. I also tend to avoid posting links to active auctions Iím bidding in as well.

If someone figures out the ad and steals a march on me from what I posted, hey, cíest la vie. And the seller is certainly free to advertise his gun as widely as he wants, set whatever price and conditions he wants, and sell to whom he wants. Just giving myself the best odds I can that itíll still be on the block if and when I can drive out to see it.