Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Default WASR 10 Rework

I wanted it to represent what the bad guys were carrying before I retired. Picture taken before I gave her a complete wipe down and put back into the closet. I think she looks better now.

The handguards were easy as pie, the buttstock gave me a run for my money. Took an hour to get the buttstock off. Even with being careful, going slow and only using my hands and I still managed to break a small chip out of it. I'll glue the chip back tomorrow and set it aside to dry.

The old stock will be stored away, and will go with the gun whether it's sold off or passed on to one of the kids. I don't know what type of wood they used for the blonde/yellow stocks but it is soft and light in weight. I was going to weigh both buttstocks for comparison, but I got excited and ahead of myself and before I knew I had the new furniture installed. Oh well..........She looks better and that's the important thing.

Only thing I need to do is clean the bayonet lug up a bit, right now it's too thick to accept the bayonet.

Before and after pictures of her.

https://i.imgur.com/l5ovhGU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ljzsfTn.jpg
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 PM

HiSarge,

before you do anything check the bayonet for burrs from being used as ahammer! A small Swiss needle file is all you need to clear the T slot.
If it still does not fit check the front of the bayonet mount for burrs or dings!

Good Luck,
broom
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
HiSarge,

before you do anything check the bayonet for burrs from being used as ahammer! A small Swiss needle file is all you need to clear the T slot.
If it still does not fit check the front of the bayonet mount for burrs or dings!

Good Luck,
broom
Broom

I've checked the T-slot with a flashlight and a Q-tip, not seeing any burrs and nothing is snagging the Q-tip. Bayonet lock button moves freely, and the lock retracts as it should.

I did cause a little push/ridge on the metal on the edge of the lug, did that while trying to force the bayonet on. Figured I clean that edge up and take a little off it, and try again.

Also checked to make sure the slant brake fit through the bayonet ring, which it did.
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 11-08-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Hi USAF Sarge,

I know a little about them. Had two in the past everything fit well on mine.After I did a little filing on the T slots.
Can you put some colored marker or chalk on one part & see where the interference is?

Hope "they" don't get that close that you need the bayonet,

Good Luck with your problem,
broom
Old 11-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi USAF Sarge,

I know a little about them. Had two in the past everything fit well on mine.After I did a little filing on the T slots.
Can you put some colored marker or chalk on one part & see where the interference is?

Hope "they" don't get that close that you need the bayonet,

Good Luck with your problem,
broom
Broom

True, I'll do the chalk check/test. Pulled the cleaning rod to ensure it's clearing it. Just as the bayonet lug reaches the bayonet lock in the T-slot it stops. Unlike Mausers etc. It's hard to see what is going on with the way the bayonet handle is. I've taken Mauser lugs off and slid them onto bayonets for fitment checks, can't do that with a AK platform.

I'll keep you posted, and seek further help from you.

Didn't change out the pistol grip, as the surplus one uses a different screw apparently. Still trying to figure out what the screw should look like. I know you buy them with a Allen head screw, but the actual screw is a slotted screw. With the lengths of the screw and the diameter of the head being different.
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 11-09-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 PM

The WASR-10s are the worst of the imported AKs. They were made from Romanian parts kits on single stack receivers that were modified to accept hicaps (note the lack of dimples and the addition of the spacers inside) and they also often have a canted front sight. Some folks swear by the WASR and have no issues, but if you're looking for a more collectible piece as a hand-me-down, there are lots of better options. What does WASR stand for? What a $h!tty rifle!
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
The WASR-10s are the worst of the imported AKs. They were made from Romanian parts kits on single stack receivers that were modified to accept hicaps (note the lack of dimples and the addition of the spacers inside) and they also often have a canted front sight. Some folks swear by the WASR and have no issues, but if you're looking for a more collectible piece as a hand-me-down, there are lots of better options. What does WASR stand for? What a $h!tty rifle!
Got lucky with this one no canted sights, no canted gas block, magazines lock up right with no wobble, no metal shavings in the mag well or chamber. Wanted something I could shoot, and not worry about destroying a collectable. So far it hasn't failed me.

Granted early on there were some issues, mine is dated 2018, and had none of the issues that were common on the earlier ones. Maybe I got lucky or they cleaned up their act.
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Oh good. They must have cleaned up the process. Happy shooting.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
Oh good. They must have cleaned up the process. Happy shooting.
From the horror stories I heard and read on them, mine was 100% opposite of that. It's a good shooter, well as good as I allow it to be with my aging eyes. I ordered mine off the internet, as the ones local at the time were either 22 versions or in $900.00 range for a WASR. Mine with taxes, shipping, transfer etc mine came to $762.00 total, so I couldn't pass that deal up.

Also it looks good when displayed with my Iraqi, Czech and East German helmets, East German uniform, and other Middle Eastern, Comblock and Afghan memorabilia.
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 11-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Where did you get that red furniture, USAF Sarge?