Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Picture Test: North Store Service Grade

Bought it Saturday. I was really up there looking for Field Grades with a mint Post War Op Rod, but had no luck.

Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.

Last edited by Danny; 11-25-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 PM

That's a pretty good representation of the post wars I saw at the NS a few weeks ago. Good score. What are the TE/ME?

Someone else wrote that they put out 48 Field Grades. Can you describe the ones that you put aside and passed on? What kind of shape were they in overall? Always nice to hear that most of the FG's are well inside Service Grade specs, but I've seen some real wallflowers too.

The IHC Field Grades that I saw there were pretty hard sells too.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
That's a pretty good representation of the post wars I saw at the NS a few weeks ago. Good score. What are the TE/ME?

Someone else wrote that they put out 48 Field Grades. Can you describe the ones that you put aside and passed on? What kind of shape were they in overall? Always nice to hear that most of the FG's are well inside Service Grade specs, but I've seen some real wallflowers too.

The IHC Field Grades that I saw there were pretty hard sells too.
Thanks for the comments.

The ME is 2 and the TE is 3. There are a couple of dark spots on two of the lands that did not show till cleaning started, but those are diminishing and nearly gone. The bore otherwise looks about like any new barrel I have installed.

You are correct, that one is about representative of about a half or third of the Service Grade rack. I put back a bunch of them for small reasons such as one having a bit of surface rust on a part of the as new parkerizing on the receiver, one that had it on the barrel shank, one really nice early SA Post War that had a nice Winchester Slant Op Rod. I had about four tagged that were almost a coin toss to result in picking this one.

The Field Grades were really nice. I was not finding a lot of the "Relic" or scrubbed hard by blasting receivers that I was finding before. Sure, there were maybe a couple or a few, but not like before. There was no Hackberry in the Service or Field Grades that I saw. Those seem to be limited to the IHC Field Grades. Maybe those stocks are done for. I had two Field Grades tagged before I went to the Service Grades...something I was not going to do. Both I had picked out a week or two before and didn't take. One was a 330,000 or 380,000 with matching curved side Op Rod that I really wanted both times. This was the one I was going to buy until I saw the Service Grades. I feel bad for not taking it because I do like to have some to refinish and stock, but because the gas cylinder was a cut one, the USGI Stock pretty rough and the barrel not quite as nice, I thought it was bad economy to pass up the Service Grade I found. I would not consider refinishing it. The $100.00 difference from Field to Service is less than the stock set, even unfinished. I suppose that at some time it will be harder to get the mint ones and I can find some to refinish. I think that Field was a 3, 3 in the barrel specs .

I saw one or two H&R amongst the Service and Field, but H&R are "not my thing". I can't comment on barrel readings in the Field Grades, as I don't look at that till I get some rifles selected for purchase that have great receivers, nice op rods, bolts and trigger groups. I am really primarily looking for a good receiver first. I look at barrels when I have "the contenders tagged" and need to make a decision before "tossing the coin". Cartouches would be looked at in the end, like barrels, but as I am not going there looking for them, I can't comment on how many did or did not have cartouches.

There were a few nice IHC Service Grades, but I think they are a bit pricey. The IHC Field are all picked over. They said they were gone over hard during the Matches. I don't think there is one there I'd want.

I think you made out a little better on the 5.94 that you posted on recently, but this is pretty nice and close. The trigger group, stock and stock metal are not correct, as is the really mint IHC Op Rod. I would have grabbed yours if I saw it before you. Good/smart catch on that one.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.

Last edited by Danny; 11-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.