Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 12:46 AM

Default RM1 Service; happy but disappointed

I received my RM 1 Service Grade Friday.
At first glance very happy (though I did sticker asking for WW II serial if possible). It is HRA with 4.7 million serial. Brand new beautiful CMP cartouched stock. NM marked oprod. HRA 12-53 barrel with ME of 2+ TE of 4+ (Lower would have made me a little happier of course).

Disappointment came when I tried to disassemble. The trigger group was nearly impossible to get out, it unclicked when pulled to the rear but wouldn't rotate to be removed. I was finally able to rotate it and get it out, but had to use a lot of brute force. (Trigger group is SA btw).
Then couldn't get the receiver and barrel out of the stock. Even used rubber mallet, upper will not separate from the stock.
Trying to reassemble, the trigger group is very tight but was able to finally force into stock. But trigger guard will only rotate about 3/4 of the way. Can't get it to close and latch, even using same rubber mallet.

I checked to make sure the lugs are going into the proper place, I think it's just the new stock is too tight.
I can't imagine who ever assembled the receiver and trigger group into the stock could think this was ok. Maybe it assembled fine but humidity caused stock to swell or something?

I will contact CMP on Tuesday (Monday is Veteran's Day so don't imagine they are open). And hoping I can send it back to either be fixed/assembled properly or get different rifle.

If anyone has any suggestions on if I am doing something wrong, or if there is easy remedy for too tight a stock I'd be happy to hear them.
My first M1, but the videos I watched all appear that disassembly (and assembly) should be much easier..

Also about the NM oprod, is that anything special, is it different/better than USGI or aftermarket rod? If so how?

Thanks for any info and/or advice. Was sure hoping my first post would be better news ��

I would post pics but it says I don't have permission to post attachments.

Last edited by MacTarnahan; 11-11-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Tight is good. It is common for cmp stock to be overly tight in the beginning. You may find some bits and rough edges that need very minor sanding. There is a section in the cmp website that talks about carefully sanding the stock where the trigger assembly inserts into, using masking tape and rasp. Again, tight fitting stock is preferable, but if you think you want to relief some wood, do it very slowly and check often your work.

NM op rod is common, no significant increase in value. Enjoy your new rifle! I am relatively close to you, pm me if you need any help
Old 11-11-2019, 01:20 AM

The receiver being very tight in the stock is desirable. The lock up of the trigger assembly is probably because the stock has not been completely fitted to it. For someone that understands how the stock should be fitted, it is an easy fix.

I bought a new unfit stock from CMP. I could not lock the trigger housing similar to yours. There were a couple areas that needed to be relieved a little to allow proper clearance. Inside the stock, the angled clearance cut for the trigger guard was not deep enough causing the trigger guard to bind before closing. 5 minutes with a file and sanding block fixed proper closure of the trigger guard. I put another couple hours into after that to fit the stock for accuracy.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:51 AM

Great!
Thanks guys. I understand that tight stock is good.
Thought about trying to sand but not sure where that would be.
And since me first M1 wasn't sure if I'd be removing wood in wrong place, or removing too much in right place.
As you say tight is good, so don't want to remove too much making it loose.

Thanks again, I'll try a little sanding and filing.
If it's common to need some work, then I doubt CMP would consider it defective, so I'm probably on my own.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 AM

Just noticed where you live. If you bring it to me to look at, I can show you what needs to be fixed. Just PM me.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:30 AM

Found the technical article Smf834 mentioned, and Bml lives close by and may be able to give me a guiding hand.
Thanks for the advice and info.
This is a great forum!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:23 AM

It was assembled when you got it why would you even think of sanding on the stock?
Yu were given a gift of a tight fitting stock, do not ruin it
Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 AM

One of my Service grades came with an extremely tight CMP stock. I disassembled it to clean and lubricate, it was dry, no hint of grease. I was tempted to relieve it a bit, but decided against doing so. This rifle is one of my best shooters, and over time it has become slightly easier to lock up.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Please don't sand or remove material from your stock.
Changes in humidity will change lock up and you might end up with too loose a fit.
Give things a chance to settle in.
RVN 67-68
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

My Special rack Grade, received last Wednesday had a quite tight but removeable new stock too. I immediately did a real tung oil treatment and will be taking down the hanging wood parts today to re-assemble with a fully lubed/greased set of internals.

Hopefully the oil addition won't have caused any assembly problems. but as others have mentioned, tight is good. I have no immediate plans on doing any wood removal.