Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

OP, if you can't get the barreled receiver out of the butt stock, watch the beginning of this video when he smacks the stock to get it out. Like he says, use a padded surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4wpB9MZ-4
Old 11-11-2019, 10:09 AM

In addition to other websites and youtube vids, that Brownell's 4-part series on the Garand is well worth the viewing. Especially for us 1st timers to the rifle. At 70 yrs old myself, it's kinda fun to call myself a 1st Timer at something - LOL
Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

The service grade that I received with a new stock a few weeks ago seemed tight too.The trigger guard was real tight but after removing it a few times it seemed to settle in so I'm just leaving it alone.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Hoping this adds photos.
The 104 on inside of trigger group, rack number or something?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Yes! I donít want to take wood off, I want the right fit.
I also want to shoot it. Canít shoot it if I canít get trigger group back in.
Iíll try some more before trying wood removal.
Was hoping I was doing something wrong and someone would say ďtilt it a little to rear while insertingĒ then it would go in and Iíd be good.
Brownell video was one of ones I watched.
Thanks for all the advice, Oregon is pretty humid and I was just wondering if that caused the stock to swell some.

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-21-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTarnahan View Post

Hoping this adds photos.
The 104 on inside of trigger group, rack number or something?
Looks like a form of rack number to be sure the trigger group got back on the right rifle.
https://imgur.com/gallery/DTOxsjH
Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Update - I just finished re-assembly of my rifle. Happily, the treated stock went back in place with no issues.

Can hardly wait till after Christmas when we can take it to a rifle range and verify function .
Old 11-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Update - I just finished re-assembly of my rifle. Happily, the treated stock went back in place with no issues.

Can hardly wait till after Christmas when we can take it to a rifle range and verify function .
Very nice. Hoping mine will do the same then.
Canít wait until Christmas to shoot it, hopefully will be much sooner.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTarnahan View Post
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Yes! I donít want to take wood off, I want the right fit.
I also want to shoot it. Canít shoot it if I canít get trigger group back in.
Iíll try some more before trying wood removal.
Was hoping I was doing something wrong and someone would say ďtilt it a little to rear while insertingĒ then it would go in and Iíd be good.
Brownell video was one of ones I watched.
Thanks for all the advice, Oregon is pretty humid and I was just wondering if that caused the stock to swell some.
Before you install the trigger group make sure the hammer is cocked back. Also get a small brush (I use a flux brush) and dob some grease all the way around both lugs on the trigger guard. It may make it a bit easier to lock it down.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Default loose now.

Recently I received a service grade M1 and it had new DuPage wood on it. It loosened up after a few ins and outs and now it even latches without any pressure at all. I would have liked a little pressur. I checked the lugs and they seem unworn. I have seen way worn lugs that are a problem and the trigger guard needed replacing. But, anyway I took it to the range and it shoots as good as i ever have seen any Garand shoot. It had a new 9-55 SA barrel on a WW11 receiver. No rust or pitting anywhere and a NM op rod as well. I took off the barrel and put a NOS VAR barrel on it and will save the SA barrel for a late SA receiver when I get one. My buddy was shooting his all correct M1C and frankly he was having a devil of a time trying to get that thing to shoot straight. My shooter was 10 ringing every time. I've had some loose fitting stocks tho, and these guys are right. They won't shoot very well at all. It makes all the difference.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 PM

SUCCESS!
The video Shomway suggested showed the Brownell guy hitting the butt on a cushioned table.
I tried that and it worked. Had to hit it 4 times (pretty hard) but it moved a little each time, fourth hit and the receiver came out of the stock.
Best part, after getting the receiver out, I placed the trigger group in the stock and it went right in. It sits flush and doesn't rub wood much on either side, but it's still pretty tight.
So with the confidence that it's not hitting any wood, I got the receiver back in the stock. I put a little CLP on the trigger group locking lugs then put the trigger group in.
I made sure the lugs were in the correct place on the receiver and pounded away with the rubber hammer. The trigger guard went down a little further with each hit until it finally latched.
Yay!

I took the whole thing apart a second time to be sure I didn't bind anything. Still had to use rubber hammer to get the trigger group back locked into place.

Next time I take it apart will be to do the RandyP Tung Oil treatment and clean the grease out of the trigger group. The bolt group was clean and looked like fresh oil.

There were two small wood chips (more like flakes) on the sodas of the receiver. I wonder if those were part of problem. Still very, extremely tight.
Happy as heck now!

Thanks everyone for the help, advice, and assist. And all on Veterans Day!