Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Default Pistol Lead vs Polymer Bullets

Hi, I'm working on a load for Cowboy Action/Wild Bunch competitions. I have a choice between lead which I have used for years or the new (to me) polymer coated bullet. Anyone have experience with these ?, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides
Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM

They sometimes add the odd odor of hot plastic to the smoke, but overall they do an excellent job of eliminating leading. For many, they eliminate it completely. I don't think it's an accuracy substitute for getting your revolver chamber throats to match your bullet OD -0.0000 and +0.0005 and be over groove diameter by one to two thousandths nor for eliminating bore constrictions and surface roughness, but it does seem to prevent lead metal fouling.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 PM

And less smoke because powder coated bullets don't need all that lube,,,not any lube
Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM

PCed bullets do most everything they are said to do; clean handling, clean shooting, and some go to higher velocities. I have been PCing my cast for about 4 years and have used them in all my handguns and a couple rifles. I used cast lead data and methods with quite a bit of success and I shoot outside so I haven't noticed any smoke or smell differences. I have managed to get my cast bullets to shoot clean, leading free for most of my cast bullet loads so I don't PC as much as I did...