Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Now this is an interesting thread. Thanks for posting all of this.

I have an H & R 9 shot .22 revolver purchased in the early '80's. I wonder if it is worth much since the original company no longer exists?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Very interesting thread, thanks for posting.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Wow, last weekend I had wings, beer and shot darts right down the street from where my carbine was made at place called the Fireside.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Interesting. I take that to mean that they either didn't handle much nuclear material, or they handled it well enough to not contaminate their site.

Or...they just buried it deep enough, or dumped it somewhere else...
didn't they dump it in love canal - and al gore found it - that was before he invented the internet.

I used to work for IBM, have a little stock, still, and have several ThinkPad laptops (most recent one is a lenovo brand, but it still says "ThinkPad"

HRA was in Worcester, MA, my home town, where my mom worked in the arms factories in the 40s & early 50s.

btw, GREAT Thread, lets add M1911s to the list if anyone want to, it's pretty easy, several organizations are listed here..
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
didn't they dump it in love canal - and al gore found it - that was before he invented the internet.

I used to work for IBM, have a little stock, still, and have several ThinkPad laptops (most recent one is a lenovo brand, but it still says "ThinkPad"

HRA was in Worcester, MA, my home town, where my mom worked in the arms factories in the 40s & early 50s.

btw, GREAT Thread, lets add M1911s to the list if anyone want to, it's pretty easy, several organizations are listed here.
I'm working midnights tonight; just me and my computer. If it's slow enough, me and Google oughta be able to knock that out by morning, great idea.

Might do the 1903 and 1917s while I'm at it, maybe the M16 as well!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672;[COLOR=navy
National Postal Meter -[/COLOR] Changed its name to Commercial Controls at the end of the war and produced a handful of carbines with this receiver stamp. Shortly after, changed name to Rochester Defense, and was aquired by Fredan Corporation. Singer Sewing Machine Company purchased Fredan in the 1960s. Ironically, Singer produced 1911s for the US government as part of the war effort, and was a subcontractor of M1 Carbine parts.
National Postal Meter also made bombtail and bombnose fuses, mortar and artillery fuses and spare parts for Springfield rifles during the war. Commercial Controls was acquired by Friden, Inc. (calculators) in 1956. The Rochester Division of Friden which formerly was Commercial Controls made small business systems including automatic typewriters and paper tape punch and readers. These products had a lot of mechanisms which put the mechanical expertise from the past to good use. Friden was acquired by The Singer company in 1963. I started with them out of college in 1964 and the charter then was to start converting products to electronic control. At some point the name changed to Singer Business Machines. In 1976 this subsidiary of Singer folded.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Nice write up and thanks for the info! Now if we could find some of the presentation carbines which were given away to the corporate officers
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrose View Post
National Postal Meter also made bombtail and bombnose fuses, mortar and artillery fuses and spare parts for Springfield rifles during the war. Commercial Controls was acquired by Friden, Inc. (calculators) in 1956. The Rochester Division of Friden which formerly was Commercial Controls made small business systems including automatic typewriters and paper tape punch and readers. These products had a lot of mechanisms which put the mechanical expertise from the past to good use. Friden was acquired by The Singer company in 1963. I started with them out of college in 1964 and the charter then was to start converting products to electronic control. At some point the name changed to Singer Business Machines. In 1976 this subsidiary of Singer folded.
Added information to OP, thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Updated OP with 1911 information.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Interesting to see how things change given some time and circumstances. Disturbing is Irwin Pedersen going to Saginaw Gear which is now totally owned by a company out of China.