Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Type of order: Rack grade Standard products
Recieved on:02/16/10
DBU:02/18/10
Upgrade request: 02/19/10 also changed received date to that.
Opened Date:03/05/10
Oder #: 301084
Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 PM

I was afraid I missed the boat on the S.G.'s after reading some of the threads. Checked my estore today and my order for this and an HRA Garand where open. Now fingers crossed that nothing happens between now and when they ship.

TYPE OF ORDER: S.'G.' Service Grade
RECIEVED ON DATE: 2/19/2010
DBU DATE: 2/25/2010 (stating order received 2/19/2010)
OPENED DATE: 03/06/2010
CC HIT DATE:
SHIPPED DATE:
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Thumbs up Good News - Not So Good News

Service Saginaw S'G'
Service NPM

Order Sent: 2/22 Next day mail
Order Received: 2/23 (11:30 am)
DBU: 8:51AM 3/5
Opened in Store:3/11
CC Hit: 3/11
Ship date:
Received:

They dropped the NPM off the web site 3/4 PM. Don't know if I missed on the NPM. Hope not. Got the dreaded call on the SG NPM - Gone! Switched to a Racker NPM. Good news - should receive SG S'G'. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by parmel; 03-13-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmel View Post
Switched to a Racker NPM.[/U][/I]

I and another guy I know just returned rackers. His an Inland and mine a NPM. The NPM I sent back was really, really bad. Rust, pitting, wood that looked like it was in a rock hitting competition and really underside.

Returned it for a Standard Products Service Grade that arrive today, which is excellent!! Might want to rethink the racker..
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 PM

While there are definite reasons why a racker is graded as a racker, most of them clean up very nice and they ALL function and shoot reasonably well. If it comes down to just replacing the wood, the price difference between Service and Rack will usually cover the cost of at least a birch M-2 stock. As far as any pitting or surface rust, the rack grade is what you want to be dragging to the range and the woods anyway - leave the Service grade and collectables at home and out of the weather.

I, too, am guilty of expecting to get a great receiver, perfect wood and all the parts matching. I am the first to admit that EVERY time I have opened the box I have felt a tinge of "disappointment" and thought that races across my mind is "is this what I just paid $500 for??" But every time I grab the data sheet, the Hoppe's, and the Denatured Alcohol and started in on the sometimes 65 years of grime and rust. But as I put that little bit of elbow grease into the War Baby, I have gotten attached that much more. I can't stand the idea that people would actually sell or trade one - I still have all of mind.

Have I made "the call" back to CMP? Yep, twice, and asked for an inspection and a repair. But I have also requested that I get the same rifle back - its mine, its the luck-of-the-draw. I consider that the same that our father's got when they lined past the armory on the way to war. (Its also the same I got when I drew a military weapon.) Both times the weapons quickly were returned to me fully repaired and I am thankful to have skilled, professional AND caring armorers working at CMP. I know these weapons will work.

These ain't new, they are certainly no worse than the grade descriptions and they are genuine USGI M-1 carbines. These have been made available for purchase SOLELY for the purpose of raising funds for teaching marksmanship to U.S. citizens. Now, if the quality and condition is more important than getting a good shootin', genuine SURPLUS weapon at a great price, may I politely suggest that there are weapons for sale on collector boards? I'll gladly take the IBM racker for $495 I have on order (if I am lucky enough to make the numbers cut) and I am not going to complain about it as long as its safe to shoot.

Ok, end of soap box. Got my asbestos underwear on so anyone is welcome to flame away...

Last edited by Tired Retired; 03-11-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Big + on that one. Lets hear it for the RACKERS!!!
J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 PM

Finally got to shoot my inland racker.

Even without the plan to make my a repro m1a1, it was a project gun , to make it a shooter.

It has a 3+ ME, but thanks to the one thread from another member about pin gages, it's just the 1st 1/4" of muzzle end that eats a .303 pin and is pitted and dark, rest of the barrel has good lands/grooves, and takes a .302 pin. (.303 wont go past the 1st 1/4" at all, but the .302 will slip down the barrel, but not at all rattle around in there. the rest of the barrel seems to be closer to a 2 than a 3 .)

Wear on the metal is normal, about 50% finish gone, but no pitting, original inland barrel (cool - even with the wear, wouldn't want to change the barrel), mostly inland parts. Just looks like it's been there and done that, which is cool.

Front sight blade and one leaf were bent, straightened them. Seemingly original front sight, so didn't want to change it, so took the time to work on it.

The rear adj stamped sight was falling off, with the push of a thumb (there was all sorts of evidence of attempts to stake it by someone), but I had a repro flipper for it which went in great and tight.
New rear flipper, covers 90% of the sinful attempts to restake the adj sight.

Front typ3 bb, the sling swivel was all chewed up, but again had a repro typ1 and the m1a1 repro stock waiting for it.

So after all the work, back on early Feb, I finally got out to shoot it.

At 25yds (indoor range max ) it mostly shoots ragged holes with 30 rnd with about 10% flyers out at about go 1 - 1.5" from the main group (not bagging it, so could be me + the rifle flyers - shooting S&B 30 carbine factory ammo).

Windage , just needed a few hard taps at the range with the brass drift to shift the rear sight to the left and got the windage centered, and the mean center of the ragged hole around the vertical center of the bullseye. Good enough for a fun plinker for the family.

Between getting to fire it and the pin gages, I feel better about my racker.
Put 150 rnds through it the other night.

The only small issue left, is the pin in the repro flipper walks out during shoot.
I'm going to try and clean it and put some real think crazy glue in there.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM

IBM Rack Grade

Order Sent: 2/21 (express mail on Sunday)
Order Received: 2/23
DBU: 3/3
Opened in Store: 3/12
CC Hit: 3/12
Order number: 3020XX
Ship date: ??
Received: ??

I noted that there were 3091 order numbers place between this order and my previous purchase past month (shown below). Couple of deductions 1) they are averaging about 100 orders per day and 2) since my last order was placed before this last release/rush,(and counting all the rush orders fom the Garand side plus other sales) then the highly sought after carbines (SG S'G', SG NPM, etc) truely only numbered in the LOW hundred if that many.

Last Month's Order - hitting exactly to the day on everything - Hope shipping is faster this go around....

Order Sent: 2/1 Next day mail
Order Received: 2/2 (10:30 am)
DBU: 2/3 (10:16 am)
Opened in Store: 2/12
CC Hit: 2/12
Order number: 298964
Ship date: 2/23
Received: 2/24
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Tired; I'm close to you in order numbers.

TYPE OF ORDER: (Rack IBM , SG Winchester)
SNAIL MAIL: 2/20
RECIEVED ON DATE: 2/23
DBU DATE: 3/5
ORDER NUMBER: 302034
OPENED DATE: 3/12
CC HIT DATE: ? Shows paid but not on my end yet.
SHIPPED DATE: ?

I'll bet they ship next week.