Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC
Default Rock-0la cartouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Based upon what "Mike in N C" said on his post about seeing a horizontal cartouche at the Ala. store what say ye on this cartouche??? It is on a high wood with the RMC in the sling well and looks to have the original finish with no sanding.
http://imageshack.us/g/853/rock003.jpg/
I didn't say that I had seen a RMC stamping on a rifle at the "Ala" (CMP South Store). I saw one (and bought it) when was sorting through a few hundred stocks out on the west coast. I was on a buying trip for myself and a couple of other collectors. This stock went to a friend in South Carolina. I may be able to take some pictures of it a few months down the road, but can't provide those today.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 PM

One last tidbit of information gleaned from the photos regarding the restored Rock-Ola, is the front sight marked R on top. A common error on restored Rock-Ola's. These sights are found on Inland, not Rock-Ola. Rock-Ola placed their R on the front flat.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks dbarn, my search starts for a correct front sight. From all the info I have received here it does show its restored, I thank everyone for their input. One last thing before I start my quest for a correct stock I see where the Carbine Club had a newletter dated Nov. of 82 covering the Rock-Ola cartouche. I have sent for it and it will be interesting to see what they say.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM

That would be NL #72. One other you might want to consider is NL #328. This NL talks about the very earliest stock markings on spring tube Rock-Ola's using only I-slot, high wood stocks. This is the only variation (difference) I am aware of. Some of these had the early vertical RMC marking stamped in the sling well and on the handguard. These were marked differently on the right side, but for a very limited early period. Maybe someone who is lucky enough to own one can post some photos. Best regards.