Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM

A gentle stripper like Klean Kutter Refinisher http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=92 or Citristrip http://www.wmbarr.com/citristrip/default.aspx will get the job done.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Chemical strippers won't hurt cartouches too badly, but they're hell on patina and color. I was able to remove poly from a couple stocks without hurting the stamps, but they were bare, white wood when I was done, and I wound up staining them again.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:45 PM

If it is shellac denatured alcohol will break it down No need for stripper
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Deantured alcohol is how I get rid of shellac. Elbow grease and some 0000 steel wool. It only works well when the alcohol is fresh from the can. When your hand feels cold from the evaporation then it's time to ditch that shop towel and wet another. Soak steel wool with the alcohol and use it as well in thicker areas.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Thank you all. I have tried the ETOH and even some acetone. Has cleaned it up nicely, but hard shiny finish remains. Markings look to be under the layer! So, I guess it is polyurethane. Any thoughts on using Formby's/MinWax antique furniture to go after it (mentioned as one of the products suggested by armorers page).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM

I used Easy Off oven cleaner on a few of my Swiss K31s and 1911 as most came with some kind of varnish. It just removed the varnish and not the patina but your mileage ma vary.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM

I used KleanStrip Premium Stripper on an Enfield stock that had some sort of thick varnish finish. Had to spot treat some areas a couple times. Try everything, I would not be afraid to use water soluble products, hot water wash down can be a big help. Whatever you use I would expect re-staining to be necessary but that could be a good thing too.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM

I just cleaned a stock here a few weeks ago that was painted brown by a VFW one tme in it's life. I used Acetone on it and all the cartouches and inspector marks all show up and even the circled P . Never hurt them at all.It works great!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM

I tried acetone and denatured alcohol but neither worked well. All the scrubbing was starting to affect the stock, so I went to automotive paint stripper. It did the job in about 30seconds and did not hurt the patina one bit (the trouble was that the schlack had been peeling and the finish under it had actually been too well protected to match the rest of the stock).

As long as you use it sparingly and wipe it off quickly (as soon as the finish starts to wrinkle up) and then wash it off with water, I think stripper works great.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM

I have used Minwax antique furniture re-finisher and had great results.