Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Default $5 carbine mags still available in store?

Does the south store still have the $5 rusty m1 carbine mags? Do you have to be a member to buy them or can anyone? If u have to be member can I have someone stop in and pic some up and Cmp ship to me? Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone View Post
Does the south store still have the $5 rusty m1 carbine mags? Do you have to be a member to buy them or can anyone? If u have to be member can I have someone stop in and pic some up and Cmp ship to me? Thanks
As of yesterday (Thursday) they were still there. Please dont think the CMP is underselling these as "Rusty" like the Rusty Kimbers that are dried cosmoline. These carbine mags look like they were just dug out of the sand from Omaha Beach. You will not be happy with them. I searched to see if any parts could be salvaged (springs, followers or plates) and gave up half way through the first box. I was looking for anything to make the trip worth it on Wed. before they brought out the 80 RG H&Rs.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM

They must have finally got to the bottom of barrel. When I was there first week in October and bought some , I got some nice ones. With light rust spots on outside only. Insides were still piled with cosmoline.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM

There were still 5ea boxes each partially filled today. Most were pretty rusty. Didn't buy any. A little sand blast and some park would produce some pitted but useable magazinesx
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM

I was thinking of going this route but after similar responses went with the WTB section of the forum. I was rewarded with 10 very nice mags from a fellow forum member at a very reasonable price. Of course YMMV.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 PM

There were again 4-5 boxes out today. I dug into one and found that the bottom half of the box was filled with magazines with little to no rust. I picked up seven and two gentlemen after me got probably 20-30 each. There was nothing else in the store to buy that called out to me except the LC ammo.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Here's ten of those rusty M1 Carbine mags I just got today. They won't win any beauty contests but they are servicable. Overall, I can't complain for the price. About half of them are in actually decent shape, the other half have some pitting issues to overcome. But they all work just fine. This is what they look like after my first initial triage with WD40, some steel wool, and the wire brush attachment on my dremel. All the floorplates, springs, and followers were servicable. The pick of the litter will go in my range bag, and the ones with the pitting I'll play around with to see if I can't make them look decent.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Thumbs up

Maybe one day if everyone is nice we may see new surplus mags available for sale from the CMP.
Never know what hides in those vast CMP warehouses.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH53Gunner View Post
Maybe one day if everyone is nice we may see new surplus mags available for sale from the CMP.
Never know what hides in those vast CMP warehouses.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM

The M1 Carbine mags are in a wooden crate next to the box with the Ark of the Covenant, which is the fourth aisle on the left, the 8th wooden crate from the top. It's in the stack with the alien spaceship from Area 51 and Jimmy Hoffa's sarcophagus.