Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 AM

Default 1911 Suggestions?

I've always been more into rifles than pistols, but with all the interest generated by CMPs 1911 release, I recently purchased an early (1918) M1911...all original and in fine condition. I've run a couple hundred rounds through it...really enjoying shooting it. Because of it's age and value, I'm now reconsidering the wisdom of frequently taking it to the range, and am thinking about buying a modern version....something military-spec that closely resembles either the M1911 or M1911A1...either new or used. I'd welcome any suggestion you guys might have.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Although I don't own a Rock Island Armory GI series, I have several of their 1911's and find them to be really solid performers for the money. If I were in the market I think I'd also seriously consider a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec as well
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM

I will second SkipinSD on this one. You don't have to spend your kids' inheritance on a good, shootable 1911. Plus, you can easily find used RIs and Springfields at great prices.

Keep shooting your 1911. Stick to light target loads to ease your mind, and it will never wear out. Replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5 pound spring. I recommend the Wolff spring for whatever 1911 you buy.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM

The Auto Ordinance M1911A1 is also a good choice. The benefits of a new pistol is if you want to tinker it you're not changing a collectors piece. Eddie
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM

I have an AO 1911 that I bought new about 10 years ago, and have had a number of problems with it. First was the barrel lugs peening, so it was sent back and got a new barrel and slide. The front sight and plunger tube have come loose and needed to be restaked, and I had some feeding problems early on which I fixed by tuning the extractor. The slide is starting to show some peening again, so I am now replacing the barrel and slide myself (using a Kart gunsmith barrel and USGI slide). I sure have learned a lot, and had an excuse to buy several 1911 specific tools.

It is entirely possible that the quality has improved in the past 10 years, but unless it has I would not recommend an Auto Ordinance 1911.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 AM

I have 6 modern 1911s ...Cabot 100S, Colt GCT and Delta Elite, S&W E series, Kimber Raptor II and Sig Emperor Scorpion. All 5" and .45ACP except Delta Elite in 10mm.
I love the Sig. the best. No FTE or any issue at all. Performed flawlessly right out of the box eating 230gr FMJ (Winchester, Sellior & Belloit, Blaser, Federal, Speer). Over 1000 rounds.
I had lots of issues with the Kimber and had it back for repair three times - failure to return to battery. Its finally working but I keep waiting for the next failure. just my 2 cents
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I have an AO 1911 that I bought new about 10 years ago, and have had a number of problems with it. First was the barrel lugs peening, so it was sent back and got a new barrel and slide. The front sight and plunger tube have come loose and needed to be restaked, and I had some feeding problems early on which I fixed by tuning the extractor. The slide is starting to show some peening again, so I am now replacing the barrel and slide myself (using a Kart gunsmith barrel and USGI slide). I sure have learned a lot, and had an excuse to buy several 1911 specific tools.

It is entirely possible that the quality has improved in the past 10 years, but unless it has I would not recommend an Auto Ordinance 1911.
Does your 1911 say west Hurley on the side?
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpuller View Post
Does your 1911 say west Hurley on the side?
Nope, mine is newer than that. Made in Worcester, MA.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Ruger SR1911 series 70 set up. Nice 1911 at a mid price range with everything you want on a 1911 and made in USA.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM

I just came home from the range with my Sig Nightmare 1911, it ran great. I had my 43 Ithaca M1911 A1 as well, but only put two magazines through that one. I want to put a new spring in the Ithaca before using it more.
What ever model you choose find good sights. The small sights on the GI models are hard to see as you get older.