Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Default Electronic Target information ?

So guys, I belong to a local club and we have a 300 yard "walk up & paste" range. Recently, we've been "just talking" about the Talladega targets... if our club could afford the purchase of "several" wireless type.

I read the article about Perry- by 2018 it'll be converted to electronic CMP targets. It got us thinking a bit more. It's going to take a year or two at least for us to move on this (we're southerners, like Leon, and we take things slow....).

So we have about a dozen 300 yard firing points, 15 or so 200 yard points. With the portability of the wireless target systems we're thinking of "several". We've briefly and informally spoke with Brian at Talladega about them but honestly at the time, we didn't think we'd have a shot at convincing our Board of Directors to take a leap. That may be changing.... We're getting more guys interested in shooting our CMP matches and at (15) 200 yard firing points we're going to run out. That'll mean multiple relays. That'll mean more time the "Range" needs to be reserved for CMP Matches, something the Board will not like to do (keeping it from being "open" for all members). Enter the CMP electronic targets... We've shot Talladega in 2015 and will be back two more times this Fall/Winter. So we know the "throughput" these targets make, shortening match times significantly.

So al this rambling is about some investigatory questions;
- do you guys have a boiler plate Power Point Presentation that addresses the "selling points" of these target systems? This might be really useful for assisting (free) small clubs in determining cost/benefits. Also for "Directors" that have never, nor will likely ever, shoot Talladega or Perry, help understand what they're all about.
- basic same questions on maintenance/rebuilding the sound chambers, replacing shot sensors/wires, etc..
- basic same question(s) on "standard" costs.

Something like this might help a bunch of clubs around the country start to build some interest and support for purchasing these target systems.

Don't know if this makes sense to you or not, but hopefully you "get it". I'll be back to Sweet Home Alabama in late September. Perhaps I can have some more sensible questions at that time. For now, it'd be great to get some dialogue going on these systems. Our club budgets early in the year (January), so it's definitely not too early.

Thanks.

Last edited by 3StrikesNC; 06-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 AM

3StrikesNC,

Sent you a message.

We are working on getting our website up and running that will include most of the information requested.

Thanks for your interest in our target systems.

Bryan
Old 06-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would be leery of installing the electronic targets at any range where you have ANY kind of intentional destructiveness from the shooters, like shooting the target stands and such. One of my clubs has problems with unknown people shooting from the bench at anything down range.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 06-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Thanks Bryan- replied.

GG- Yeah, sad but true. Even club populations cannot be trusted with target systems such as these ($).

If there is a plan, it would be to store them in an adjacent, locked shed. We currently do this with our CMP supplies,.... only the 7 or 8% of the club that "belongs" to the CMP group has access. Hoping electronic targets could be a "drawl" for other club members to get involved in marksmanship skills. Certainly all will have to be "qualified" prior to using these systems-.... if you can't hit a SR black bull at 200 you don't belong on them.

Interested in dialogue from others considering/implementing these systems.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 PM

Any club putting in an electronic scoring system also needs to have good security cameras.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Thanks Bryan- replied.

GG- Yeah, sad but true. Even club populations cannot be trusted with target systems such as these ($).

If there is a plan, it would be to store them in an adjacent, locked shed. We currently do this with our CMP supplies,.... only the 7 or 8% of the club that "belongs" to the CMP group has access. Hoping electronic targets could be a "drawl" for other club members to get involved in marksmanship skills. Certainly all will have to be "qualified" prior to using these systems-.... if you can't hit a SR black bull at 200 you don't belong on them.

Interested in dialogue from others considering/implementing these systems.
Sort of takes the entire purpose of CMP away . It would be nice if all shooters could hold the black but there is a reason the targets are as big as they are. Also if your not allowing non members to play in the cmp games your not helping the cause one bit.
Now if your going to have electronic targets that can only be used by qualified club members for anything but sanctioned cmp matches that's fine.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I would be leery of installing the electronic targets at any range where you have ANY kind of intentional destructiveness from the shooters, like shooting the target stands and such. One of my clubs has problems with unknown people shooting from the bench at anything down range.
At our club a guy complained that a target stand he left on the pistol range got all shot up. I told him I sympathized, I left an ice cream cone out in the sun and it melted.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Sort of takes the entire purpose of CMP away . It would be nice if all shooters could hold the black but there is a reason the targets are as big as they are. Also if your not allowing non members to play in the cmp games your not helping the cause one bit.
CMP restricts shooters on the pistol e-targets to registered competitors who can hold the black.

Perhaps they didn't get the memo on the "cause".

To the OP: a target system that can be readily disassembled and stored would probably make more sense for your club. I don't think the KTS system is that system (unless there's an easily portable version I haven't seen, of course). Silver Mountain might be, since it mounts to a target frame.

Last edited by missilegeek; 06-21-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

At our club a guy complained that a target stand he left on the pistol range got all shot up. I told him I sympathized, I left an ice cream cone out in the sun and it melted.

The target stand is sun proof. It is not vandal-proof. Neither are the KTS systems. And they cost a lot more.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 06-24-2016, 01:53 AM

The 200/300 yard target systems from KTS are as portable as standard targets used for those distances. They are built on a 4 ft wooden frame and can be fitted to standard carrier systems in use at most ranges. The targets can then be removed and stored as readily as normal target boards. They are heavier of course because they have substantially more material involved. They would only need to be replaced into the carrier, target cables installed, and powered to be put back into operation. The target systems at the park in Talladega were designed as a permanent installation, not intended to be stored periodically or after use, but that is not the only method of installing these systems.
The CMP has a set of mobile systems that were used at the OK Games earlier this year. They are the same systems in use on our 600 yard line, and are built on a 6 ft wooden frame. They were taken to OKC Gun Club, installed for the match, removed afterward and returned to Anniston. Installation took a couple of days because frames were built to allow the targets to be installed in the existing lifter systems, take down took a couple of hours, including loading them back on the truck.
So, a set of targets dedicated for use on a range that has a target storage shed on or near the target line could be installed or taken down in about the same time necessary to set up current target boards that are used. No sensors to remove and reattach, no calibration required for each target, or each installation, just place the targets in the carriers and connect them to each other and the power/data communication system.
Portable is a broad term, anything can be made portable. The systems are designed to be easily installed, taken down and stored with no disassembly required, and then placed back into operation just as easily, meeting the requirements the OP discussed.