Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Question for CMP's 1911 gunsmiths.

All kinds of 'spring replacement comments' for CMP released 1911A1's on this forum. I am asking CMP's gunsmiths, is it necessary to change springs on CMP released 1911A1.s ?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:10 PM

We go over the pistols and if we find a spring needs to be replaced we will replace it.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanks for that answer CMP. Just as I thought; CMP will always ship reliable weapons. So I will shoot my 1911A1 Colt with full confidence.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Yes, very good question and glad CMP is doing this because spring replacement is generally the first thing a person should replace when purchasing a used weapon both to be safe and for accuracy. This alone is worth a little chunk of cash if you can't do it yourself. Thanks CMP!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 PM

I replaced every spring on the 1918 model I picked up recently. The plunger spring was twisted and the the sear spring nub was broken. New springs are cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Imo experience, the pistol will begin to hint at needing spring replacement. I have had good luck with Wolff Gun springs in my 2 civilian Colts.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 PM

+1 on Wolff springs.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin medic View Post
I replaced every spring on the 1918 model I picked up recently. The plunger spring was twisted and the the sear spring nub was broken. New springs are cheap insurance.

The plunger spring is purposely kinked/twisted to keep it in the plunger tube. If the spring is installed without the kink, it can fall out when you remove the thumb safety or slide stop.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:45 AM

"necessary" for operation and "necessary" for consistent operation may be two different standards. I replaced my recoil spring after the first firing test and feeding was a bit "slow" and not very positive. Spring that came in it was more than 1/2 inch shorter than new replacement. It also just felt weak when racking by hand as compared to my other 1911s. But what do you expect from a new 40 year old spring (8-78 rebuild at Anniston). Interestingly the spring had open/cut ends on both ends, not a wound end like you'd find on a new spring. Makes me wonder if they just cut one to nominal length for rebuild? No biggie, new recoil spring is only like $7.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
The plunger spring is purposely kinked/twisted to keep it in the plunger tube. If the spring is installed without the kink, it can fall out when you remove the thumb safety or slide stop.

This one appeared to have been stretched out and re-twisted so much that it was jammed back into the tube and didnít function like it should.