Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Default New from Ohio!

Hey everybody!
I've been lurking around these forums for months and researching garands and now am finally ready to bring one (or two) of my own home! I'm planning on making the trip to the north store next week and hopefully I will make it after the new truck arrives. I would like to get a SG but have also considered a SG special. Thoughts?

Some questions:
I joined the GCA online yesterday. Will the CMP have my info by next week or is there some lag time?
Is there a limit to how many garands I can buy?
Will my Concealed Handgun License suffice for the marksmanship requirement?
What's the deal with the notary on the order form? Will I have to track one down before I make the trip to camp perry?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am very excited about joining the M1 family!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillpusherPDX View Post
Hey everybody!
I've been lurking around these forums for months and researching garands and now am finally ready to bring one (or two) of my own home! I'm planning on making the trip to the north store next week and hopefully I will make it after the new truck arrives. I would like to get a SG but have also considered a SG special. Thoughts?

Some questions:
I joined the GCA online yesterday. Will the CMP have my info by next week or is there some lag time?
Is there a limit to how many garands I can buy?
Will my Concealed Handgun License suffice for the marksmanship requirement?
What's the deal with the notary on the order form? Will I have to track one down before I make the trip to camp perry?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am very excited about joining the M1 family!
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Buckeye.
I doubt that the GCA will have forwarded your info to the CMP by next week. To be safe go to the GCA website and print a copy of your receipt. They accepted that from me with no problem.
The limit on Garands is 12 per year. You can purchase more than one at a time.
I think the concealed carry permit will work, but, I'm not sure. Best to e-mail customer service in advance and they can provide you with the answer.
There is a notary at the store so you do not have to get that done in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM

Hello from another Buckeye here in Ross county. Your CCW will work OK! Also another good gun group to join is the Ohio Gun Collectors Assoc. We meet every other month in Wilmington Oh and 1 meeting a year in Cleaveland. Lots of Garands and Carbines there and parts but CMP has best prices on the Garands. Again WELCOME
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Best info I have says concealed carry counts. Can't comment on GCA but an email to customer service would answer that.
In January I attended the GSM instructors class at Camp Perry. Figured I needed a Garand to demo so finally broke down and went shopping. I looked at everything they had from drill rifles to Correct Grade. Bottom line for me was I wanted the absolute best shooting example they had. So that narrowed it to a CMP Special, Service Grade Special or Correct Grade. Long story short, I went with an HRA Service Grade Special. Basically un-used Collector Grade metal in brand new wood. I saved a few bucks and someone out there got a Correct Grade that I had zero interest in cleaning up. With new wood I didn't have to violate any history issues and executed a very nice hand rubbed finish on the rifle. Tis Beauty made manifest on Earth.
I'm a big CMP fan and I think the CMP cartouche is as cool as it gets. Best of all with match grade hand loads it's a 1 MOA shooter.
Worth every penny!!! No, I think it's worth twice what I paid!!
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 11-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Still planning to go to the NS on wednesday (fingers crossed for some SG's).
I'm sure this has been discussed at length and if you could point me to some threads on the topic I'd appreciate it, but should I go HRA or SA? How do the two manufacturers stack up in terms of build quality and collectability? Which would you chose and why?
Thanks again!