Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Default American made reloading tools?

Three weeks ago I purchased, from a large retailer, an electric case prep machine. It was, of course, made somewhere in darkest China. I only started using it last Friday. It was a little loud but worked well. A few hours ago it became very loud, then a long loud hissing sound ensued ending with two very loud snapping sounds. Now is does not turn but it does hum.

When I was able to come down from the ceiling I immediately sent the maker a notification of the problem and requested the machine be repaired or replaced. After some research I have discovered that many people do not even receive a reply to such requests. Accordingly, I am not confident of satisfactory results.

Until now I had planned to purchase a electronic powder dispenser. This purchase will be delayed until I see if the warranty of a 'Made in China' item is worth anything.

In the meantime, are there any American firms that sell electronic reloading tools that are actually built in this country (or should I just plan on using hand tools)?

If not, then I can only hope the tariffs on Chinese products are permanently increased to the maximum allowed. Any Presidential candidate who supports impeding the importation of such products has my support and vote.

Thanks for listening. Rant concluded.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Default USA reloading equipment

Giraud Trimmer. Made in America by someone who stands behind their product.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Who is your case prep machine from?...Lee, RCBS, etc.

Last edited by Shomway; 08-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Sir, before responding to your question I think it is only fair to give the manufacturer a chance to resolve the issue. Hopefully the warranty will be immediately honored and my machine properly repaired or replaced. When resolved I will update this thread.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM

I am an Engineering Manager at a computer chip manufacturing plant in the U.S. We manufacture the “wafer” (printed die on a silicon wafer). There exists almost no final manufacturing left in the US. This is where they cut the die from the wafer and put it in a larger package that is connected to equipment you use every day (phones, vehicle devices, etc). We moved ours to Asia (China, Malaysia, etc) many many years ago. If you want any electronic device, it is nearly impossible to not have part of it made in Asia. Funny thing... our Chinese final manufacturing plant is one of our best. The folks there are super quick to respond and very technical.

Your issue is not with “Chinese made” electronics.. It is with Consumer electronics. The specs (given to the manufacturer by the brand purchasing it) are loose compared to those used in more critical applications (automotive or medical). Compare that to loose vs tight tolerances in any machinist work. Sometimes two components don’t work so well with each other.
The factories in the US are no different. We don’t do anything special to make Consumer products any better if made here. BTW, the largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world is in Taiwan. They have the most cutting edge manufacturing which dwarfs likely everything in the U.S. They have factories all over Asia.

This is why many Reloading companies put a lifetime warranty on their mechanical parts but only 1 yr on their electronic. If you want tighter specs, then you have to pay.... and you know how cheap us reloaders are, right?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Thank you for the information. I have hand held reloading tools made by this firm and they have all been well made. I am hoping that I can soon order the powder dispenser from this company. Hopefully the stories of minimal or slow response to the repair or replacement of their products has been exaggerated.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:22 PM

buy from Brownells... they back their stuff with a lifetime guarantee...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Well...I won't be so shy to spotlight. RCBS "ChargeMaster" scale wanders , is inaccurate and I am mailing it back to them with the following note. "Please fix or shoot this damn thing".

I am good with whatever they do.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Well...I won't be so shy to spotlight. RCBS "ChargeMaster" scale wanders , is inaccurate and I am mailing it back to them with the following note. "Please fix or shoot this damn thing".

I am good with whatever they do.
Thatís a shame. Mine has worked great for years. But I have heard of problems from others. Hope they fix you up.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Perhaps "Consumer Electronics" is different from what the OP is dealing with (from his description I would guess a short occurred in the motor, for whatever reason). Perhaps the final assembly of US made electronic parts in Asia is without problems, but I have owned, seen, read about inferior products manufactured in Asia. Cheap materials, sloppy tolerances, and questionable materials (remember the children's toys imported from China made with toxic materials, lead, that are illegal to manufacture in the US?). Not condemning nor endorsing any products...