Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Default NICS Check and UPIN

I received my RNG back on 11/13. I'm patiently waiting for the call.

I have a process related question, but was afraid to respond to the e-mail since it said not to contact the CMP directly.

When I get the call requesting my CC info to complete the sale, I assume the NICS check will then be run and not before I receive the call, correct?

I would imagine I could then provide my UPIN - which I obtained after I sent my packet in - and then the NICS check will be run afterwards.

Do I have that right?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 12-08-2018, 05:17 AM

I’m an FFL 01 and I very very rarely see a UPIN. It’s not required by the FBI on the 4473 form you’ll have to fill out. The only people who routinely gives me a UPIN refuses to put down his SS# on the form and gets delayed while further research is done. It’s my understanding that you only need apply for a UPIN if you are routinely delayed because of a mixup with a nefarious individual with the same name. You can get a UPIN to avoid confusion in the future.

I could be incorrect and the CMP may require a UPIN, but it’s not federally mandated information and they’re supposed to run the Check without one. I believe the box was available as an option only because it’s an option on the actual Form 4473.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfenhag22 View Post
...you only need apply for a UPIN if you are routinely delayed because of a mixup with a nefarious individual with the same name.
Exactly right. I was routinely delayed on almost every purchase. I drove 12 hours to make my first CMP purchase - an SA M1D Garand - and I had to drive home empty handed because of the delay.

I found out that there's a guy with the same first, middle and last name, same age and same height/weight as me and he has three felony DUIs. Even though I provided my SSN, I got constant delays.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
Exactly right. I was routinely delayed on almost every purchase. I drove 12 hours to make my first CMP purchase - an SA M1D Garand - and I had to drive home empty handed because of the delay.

I found out that there's a guy with the same first, middle and last name, same age and same height/weight as me and he has three felony DUIs. Even though I provided my SSN, I got constant delays.
Amazing how often that happens. I once had the State of Illinois want to pull my D/L because of a drunk in Georgia with the same name.