Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Default North Store report 12/11/2010

This morning I rolled out of Columbus around 6:40am and headed north, first listening to BBC One Planet, then NPR Its Only a Game, and then 94.5FM out of Toledo playing a Santa Claus version of Blue Oyster Cult's Iron Man. I arrived at 8:30am with the store already open and about 5-6 people inside.

I first looked at the Springfield Field Grades. In the middle racks, I found one good rifle with a 5.4m 1.5 Muzzle, 2.5 TE with SA stock, HRA bolt. WWII trigger assembly. I hung unto that one and started looking at the SA FGs on the back wall. Some good ones there. I found another 5.4m, 1.5 muzzle, 2 TE with HRA stock, HRA bolt, and rest correct parts. Hung onto that one also and put both up behind the counter so I could look some more.

Then started looking at the HRA SGs. About 75% of them have those orangish looking birch stocks. Nice metal on them, nice barrels for the most part, just those ugly stocks. I took some pictures and you can see for yourself. I would say if you got one of these in the mail, you will be very happy about everything but the stock. I mean, the stocks are ok and not dinged up, but that color, its awful. Put one in the CMP walnut stock and you have something almost as nice as the $895 special SGs. Speaking of the $895 rifles, they had a rack of the HRA version and their walnut wood is beautiful. Now, I know many of you are asking, were there LMR barrels there? Yes, we saw at least 5 HRA service grades with LMR barrels and I know 3 were sold. I also saw two LMR barrels in the HRA SG specials ($895). The muzzles on the HRAs were 2 or less with a couple less than 1. Most TEs were between 2 and 3 in the HRAs. If you are looking for a HRA SG special ($895), now is a good time to look them over since they are very, very nice.

The Winchester SGs are still there. I saw an early one with a 101xxx serial number but it had the black Greek park and the barrel was poor. Some of these Winchester rifles have nice replacement barrels and most have replacement stocks. I think I only saw one with a Winchester op rod.

I did not really look at the correct rifles but both SA and HRA versions are there. More HRAs than SA corrects. Obviously they are very nice rifles.

M1Ds are still there and I looked through them. Out of the 40 or 50 there, I would only pick 4-5 of those ones left. There were some empty slots so either some people bought a couple this morning or they are reaching the end of their supply.

Rusty Kimbers are still there. I did not notice any matching pairs today. M14 stocks are in a barrel but I did not look at them. Lots of bayonets except the unmodified OL and any WT. Kind of the luck of the draw with the bayonets. I got a PAL unmodified and a AFH unmodified. Both are ok and covered in grease. I forgot to ask if they had new in wrap barrels but I did not see any so I guess they do not.

I ended up taking home the SA FG with the HRA stock since it had the better barrel. Kimberman got the other one - the SA SG with the SA stock.

Here is an early slideshow, http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...view=slideshow. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by abeal; 12-11-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM

As always, a great report!

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing there are no carbines left, what about 30.06 ammo? I guess I should just pool my money to a better M1 since the carbines are out, how many correct grades do you think they had?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the report and the pics! I saw you'd posted some pics of open-boxed SA cartouches; were those all on M1D's?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Excellent Slide show, Man Im feelin the itch bad!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post
This morning I rolled out of Columbus around 6:40am and headed north, first listening to BBC One Planet, then NPR Its Only a Game, and then 94.5FM out of Toledo playing a Santa Claus version of Blue Oyster Cult's Iron Man. I arrived at 8:30am with the store already open and about 5-6 people inside.

I first looked at the Springfield Field Grades. In the middle racks, I found one good rifle with a 5.4m 1.5 Muzzle, 2.5 TE with SA stock, HRA bolt. WWII trigger assembly. I hung unto that one and started looking at the SA FGs on the back wall. Some good ones there. I found another 5.4m, 1.5 muzzle, 2 TE with HRA stock, HRA bolt, and rest correct parts. Hung onto that one also and put both up behind the counter so I could look some more.

Then started looking at the HRA SGs. About 75% of them have those orangish looking birch stocks. Nice metal on them, nice barrels for the most part, just those ugly stocks. I took some pictures and you can see for yourself. I would say if you got one of these in the mail, you will be very happy about everything but the stock. I mean, the stocks are ok and not dinged up, but that color, its awful. Put one in the CMP walnut stock and you have something almost as nice as the $895 special SGs. Speaking of the $895 rifles, they had a rack of the HRA version and their walnut wood is beautiful. Now, I know many of you are asking, were there LMR barrels there? Yes, we saw at least 5 HRA service grades with LMR barrels and I know 3 were sold. I also saw two LMR barrels in the HRA SG specials ($895). The muzzles on the HRAs were 2 or less with a couple less than 1. Most TEs were between 2 and 3 in the HRAs. If you are looking for a HRA SG special ($895), now is a good time to look them over since they are very, very nice.

The Winchester SGs are still there. I saw an early one with a 101xxx serial number but it had the black Greek park and the barrel was poor. Some of these Winchester rifles have nice replacement barrels and most have replacement stocks. I think I only saw one with a Winchester op rod.

I did not really look at the correct rifles but both SA and HRA versions are there. More HRAs than SA corrects. Obviously they are very nice rifles.

M1Ds are still there and I looked through them. Out of the 40 or 50 there, I would only pick 4-5 of those ones left. There were some empty slots so either some people bought a couple this morning or they are reaching the end of their supply.

Rusty Kimbers are still there. I did not notice any matching pairs today. M14 stocks are in a barrel but I did not look at them. Lots of bayonets except the unmodified OL and any WT. Kind of the luck of the draw with the bayonets. I got a PAL unmodified and a AFH unmodified. Both are ok and covered in grease. I forgot to ask if they had new in wrap barrels but I did not see any so I guess they do not.

I ended up taking home the SA FG with the HRA stock since it had the better barrel. Kimberman got the other one - the SA SG with the SA stock.

Here is an early slideshow, http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...view=slideshow. I will post pictures tomorrow.
You mean "Black Sabbath", not "Blue Oyster Cult"....
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Great report...I'm heading to the SS on Wednesday
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 AM

thank you,very nice show...
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 AM

No carbines. Only place you will see those are on the auction.

Hmm, I thought Iron Man was BOC. I will have to look through my records tomorrow.

The Open Box SAs were on SA Field Grades. None on the M1Ds. The M1Ds are starting to look picked over. I did not look at ammo but I think they have plenty of .30 cal but not sure how they are packed. Now that they are 50 cents a round, they are not flying out of the store.

When you think about it, the store has probably the nicest selection of Garands right now. With the exception of SA service grades, you pretty much have everything else and you can find a nice rifle at any price. Remember back about 4 years ago when the store only had rack and field grades and they were all in rough shape. I only wish about a year ago I had bought more Bavarian Rural Police carbines - the Saturday after they were released to the stores, the NS had almost all IBM BRP carbines and most had nice stocks and early barrel bands. I had four picked out and only bought one of them, but if I had it to do again, I would have bought all four. Same can be said now with the Garands. Now is the time.

One last thing. The NS is only open Wednesday and Thursday next week.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokiWartooth View Post
You mean "Black Sabbath", not "Blue Oyster Cult"....
LOL that is hilarious!! "bring him cookies and beer and he'll be back to your house first next year"

Quote:
When I was there on 12-1 I was looking at this same rifle.