Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberman
I'm glad I decided to save the original Springfield stock as is.
Good for you, John! Issued service rifles should look like issued service rifles, and you just saved part of that rifle's heritage. If you want to dress it up, you can always buy a beautiful walnut stock from the CMP, and just "change its shoes".

I've often stripped stocks and used heat to remove grease and grime, because I'm going to replace that grease and grime with BLO or Tung Oil to restore it to original finish. I've never sanded a stock though - once you remove it, you can't get it back.

Sounds like your case of Garanditis might be getting a little worse. Hide the checkbook.

Tony
Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberman View Post
abeal, Just wanted to thank you for the heads up on the rifle.
Yes, that was a nice rifle for a field grade. Most field grades are not as nice. That was essentially a service grade rifle as was mine. There should be some SA service grades at the store once the mail orders get caught up, and make sure you take a lot at them when they show up at the store. Or you could get a HRA SG since they are nice right now.

That SA FG had a SA stock, correct barrel with 1.5 muzzle, 2.5 TE, HRA bolt, SA op rod, WWII SA trigger assembly, and NHC/IHC gas plug.

Make sure you clean the barrel and get all the cosmoline out before shooting it. The bolt is easy to take apart once someone shows you how. Vince Jiga showed me how to use a M14 cleaning rod handle to take the bolt apart - a handy little tool that usually costs less than $5 at gun shows.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Good job John....... I myself leave em how I find them. I just clean some of the gunk off and give them a nice hand rub or two or three, with pure tung oil.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post

The Winchester SGs are still there. I saw an early one with a 101xxx serial number but it had the black Greek park and the barrel was poor. Some of these Winchester rifles have nice replacement barrels and most have replacement stocks. I think I only saw one with a Winchester op rod.
I just received a phone call from FEDEX...Delivery of s/n 101479 expected by 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. Many thanks to ABEAL for the original posting providing me the lead to this rifle. And an even bigger thanks to Mike Conrad for making it happen!

Merry Christmas to all...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Does anyone know which of those "SA" marked stocks would be correct for an M1D? I know the open box SA is correct, but I am unsure on the closed box rebuild stamps. I have seen some of those stocks occasionally at the south store, but haven't bought one yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM

yes, I think someone does know that.