Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Default South Store Report 3-2-2011

Man what an awesome trip! I was here three weeks ago and today was what I have been hoping for. There was some GREAT wood on these babies. I mean USGI prime time. The SA SG's and FG's were great. The HRA SG's were unbelievable. There was one w/ a LMR barrell. Almost bought it. The store only had about 10 or so people in it. I was third in line so I got my first HRA 54 serial. Man the wood is awesome. It gauged great. I got to get her cleaned up and when I figure out how to post pics I will. Cheers Barry
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM

I also went to the store in search of a Keystone C-stock. Left with four SGs. One HRA 5.4M and 3 SAs (2, 5.8M and a 5.4M). As the above poster stated the USGI wood was phenomenal. I could have bought 10 if I had the cash. All had MW equal to or less than 1.0. Mostly having HRA .U. bolts and HRA USGI wood, but it all matched and was a steal for $620 shipped each.

I bought the last two flawless Keystone c-stocks they had. The boxes are empty. Also bought a few mint scant stocks. Leon dug them out of the box. Only about a dozen left of them as well. Glad I went as those were not there last time I checked.

The racks were full of rifles with gorgeous USGI wood. Plenty left with some SGs with chocholate birch. Put a fork in me....I'm done.

Same correct grade racks and a bunch of FGs, but I don't buy FGs b/c they are ugly. Probably miss out on rare parts, but I buy for aesthetics and mechanical soundess. All had correct barrels for the late SG models I bought and most others had original barrels installed on the receivers.

Well worth the trip.

Last edited by hammonje; 03-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 AM

Any SG specials left?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Sure. Well I saw something of the sort. They always have the rifles in new wood with reparked parts. I never look specifically for those. Why would I buy that when I can get a like condition rifle in USGI wood for $620 shipped??????
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Sure. Well I saw something of the sort. They always have the rifles in new wood with reparked parts. I never look specifically for those. Why would I buy that when I can get a like condition rifle in USGI wood for $620 shipped??????
+1!
Old/original USGI wood, has character and a soul, that just belongs on my Garands.
When I open my safe, I can "feel the presence" on the magnificent M1's with there original stock-sets.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Just my opinion...a "like new" Garand just is not right. The USGI's have history, the sense of history. Did it go ashore at Normandy? Iwo? was it at Inchon? I mean, I know the possibilites are remote at best. A newley stocked, refinished rifle just would not have the same appeal, the character the older ones do, to me anyhow.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyinfantry11b View Post
A newley stocked, refinished rifle just would not have the same appeal, the character the older ones do, to me anyhow.
Not to me either, but a good many of the Specials' receivers date back as far as 1941. If it weren't for the price differential, I would rather have one of those than a post Korea manufactered M1.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
+1!
Old/original USGI wood, has character and a soul, that just belongs on my Garands.
When I open my safe, I can "feel the presence" on the magnificent M1's with there original stock-sets.

Gunny