Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Default inexpensive projectiles

I recently started out reloading for my 1st Garand and I am working up an inexpensive target round basically only for fun using IMR 4064 & 150 grain bullets. I found some .308 Remington 150 gr psp bullets near me in a shop for $20/100 but I bought his last 200 so I am now looking online. The question is what is the favorite here for fun shooting with your Garand? I saw some for about the same price at 'Natchez' (Hornady .308 150 gr SP Rifle Bullets 100/box) which is not too bad. I know 'Golden West Brass' has some a few cents cheaper but they are always out of stock. I know that some can go for $28 - $40 per 50 so I figured I ask advice here.

Thanks,
Cliff
Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 AM

See this thread http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1078 for some information. Repeating what I said there, if you're shooting at 100-200 yds., you can use lighter, inexpensive bullets that give outstanding results with lower recoil. I shoot 110 gr. Sierra Varminters w/50.5 gr. Varget and 3.09" C.O.L. in HXP brass for my match load in J.C. Garand and Springfield Matches at 100 and 200 yds. You want to use IMR 4064, which has a similar burn rate to Varget. Currently at MidSouth, the 110 gr. Varminters go for $19.27/100. Other match shooters I know prefer the Hornady 110 gr. spire point which is available at Midsouth for $16.26/100. You won't find a bullet that shoots better at 100-200 yds. than the ones I mentioned. If they're good enough to win gold and silver in JCG Matches, they're good enough for "fun" shooting. Hope this helps you.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM

fischfam, Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading!

If you're just looking for some cheap projectiles, Polygunbag.com has 145gr .308 tracers on sale for $45/1000. I picked up 4K recently and they are great people to deal with. Here's a link:
http://www.polygunbag.com/.30CalSurp...argerView.html

They are not very accurate to say the least but if you just want some fodder to run through your Garand they'll work nicely.

FYI: Make sure you have somewhere to shoot 'em before you get them. You don't want to start any fires!

Closet
Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 PM

I have had good luck with the Hornady 150 BTHP. the can be bought in bulk and preform very well. I have tried the golden west bullets. I could never find a load that worked for them. out of the can Greek shot better every time??? I sold those to a friend for him to try, and he had the same results. I have not tried the lighter bullets as suggested above, but they sound good, and the name brand bullets seem to be better. when I load, I want to know that the bullet is accurate, even if just shooting for fun. if I aim at it and pull the trigger, that means I want to hit it, weather it be an X ring or tin can. the cheaper off brand bullets (for me) just don't fill the bill. the Hornady 150's work really well. they load a bit short, compared to m-2 ball. they have a cannelure, and I load to the bottom of the cannelure. (all the cannelure is showing)
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Over the years, i have trended towards using the name brand bullets exclusively. i feel they shoot better than the surplus/pulled bullets. Also, their quality is consistent and what I buy today will shoot as well as the bullets I bought a couple years ago. Finally, shortages aside, I know that I will be able to find them in the future.

But that's me.

To save bucks, I watch for sales and buy in bulk. Currently, I am using the Hornady 150 FMJBT. I have loads with IMR-4895 and H4895 that approximately match M2 ball in velocity. I have developed loads for the Sierra HPBT Match incase I feel that I need them.

I might have to try out some 110 grain bullets. They look like they hae some possibilities.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM

After years of experimenting, I came around to the conclusion that good bullets are money well spent. You go to all the trouble to handload ammo--use a decent bullet. It really is true that "only accurate rifles are interesting. The 110s are not traditional, but I cannot think of a single reason to use heavier bullets for short range shooting. A 110-125gr bullet in .308 cal is a varmint bullet and generally excellent quality when produced by a major supplier. You will use a bit more powder but the case is fuller, recoil can be less with high velocity and uniformity. Other than the fact that 168gr BTHP match bullets are accurate--they are expensive, unnnecessary, recoil more and are really quite inappropriate for 1-200yd shooting. I have tested Golden West against similar bullets and they never were as accurate. GW quality may go up or down but companies like Hornady and Sierra earned their reputations on uniformly good products. Open base bullets like the common Mil 147gr FMJ and GW FMJs are said to have an inherent design problem compared to solid base bullets which affects their uniformity. The danes managed to produce some good ones for their 30-06 AMA but accuracy even with Win and Hornady FMJs has never been consistent, in my experience. An example of this is the 123gr .311 bullets generally sold by many companies for the 7.62x39mm. The Win. PP 123gr was extremely accurate in my 303British rifles. None of the open base 123s would come close. You can try them all but it will cost you a lot of time and money. Life gets easier when you find a good load and standardize on it. Good Shooting........
Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 AM

I really have had great success with Nosler 168 grain custom competition HPBT bullets. $176.71 per 1000 at the following link

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0011565934
Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 AM

So I guess it doesn't matter what my M1 gets fed as long as it is a .308 SP. I just ordered 100 Sierra 110 gr so I will just try a few of them out. I figure the avg cost will be $00.15- $00.20 each.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetGunNut View Post
fischfam, Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading!

If you're just looking for some cheap projectiles, Polygunbag.com has 145gr .308 tracers on sale for $45/1000. I picked up 4K recently and they are great people to deal with. Here's a link:
http://www.polygunbag.com/.30CalSurp...argerView.html

They are not very accurate to say the least but if you just want some fodder to run through your Garand they'll work nicely.

FYI: Make sure you have somewhere to shoot 'em before you get them. You don't want to start any fires!

Closet
They also have 150gr. pulled M2 FMJ's, I should be receiving another 1000 today or tomorrow. http://www.polygunbag.com/150GrainFl...argerView.html

Actually arrived today, plus 1000 9mm FMJ's, all pulled milsurp boolits. I also have 1000 of their M25 tracer tips stashed away, but that whole "firestarting" thing kinda limits their uses.

Last edited by Rondog; 12-21-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
They also have 150gr. pulled M2 FMJ's, I should be receiving another 1000 today or tomorrow. http://www.polygunbag.com/150GrainFl...argerView.html

Actually arrived today, plus 1000 9mm FMJ's, all pulled milsurp boolits. I also have 1000 of their M25 tracer tips stashed away, but that whole "firestarting" thing kinda limits their uses.
Those look like the ones Widener's had back in the day for $55/k if you got 2,000. I tried mineral spirits for the asphaltum on the base but it didn't work by itself and I didn't feel rubbing each bullet with a stiff brush while smelling the mineral spirits was worth it. Someone recently said they tumbled these and the crud came off. Funny thing - I mentioned that I got these to the DR's who run our club's Jr Hipower and both said - "Why would I want those?" I realize they aren't the best bullets but figured to have a M-2 substitute for practice going to issued ammo matches. Plus I have three M1917, one 03A3, and a Garand - I'm not going to tailor a match load for each.