Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Default New Reports For The South Store?

6-23-2012 seems to be the last. Is the store about shopped out due to the upcoming matches? Really curious to know what, if any, there is to report on Winchester Service Grades (?) I would like to make a visit this upcomin weekend if possible.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Heard from one guy that visited the SS from Jasper, IN. He was not impressed. Best to wait until the National Matches are over unless you want an HRA SG. The time for the SG Winchesters has passed. Lots of Greek black and aftermarket wood. First few days were the cherry ones really. After that it was downhill. Most of the best ones were being purchased by staff.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM

I wouldn't mind the Greek Black so much, as long as the rifle is an excellent shooter in nice shape. I have not heard a lot of good about the wood though.

After the matches end, how long would it be before nicer M1's start to grace the racks?

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 AM

Most of the best ones were being purchased by staff.

This was tongue-in-cheek right ? I thought there was a heavy restriction on what the staff bought ?
I have to admit I use to wondered about that but thought I read some place they couldn't cherry pick.

I got REAL lucky with my Win. Mail ordered a FG and got a "real" shooter with a VAR barrel. Had to replace the forward hand guard though.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 AM

I have not been informed of CMP's policy regarding staff purchases, but discussions with some of the staff lead me to believe that some restrictions are in place. The only "staff" purchase that I personally witnessed was by an unpaid CMP volunteer. A staff employee has told me that he has purchased only two CMP firearms in the 2-1/2 years he has been there, and that dialog led me to believe that he had to obtain permission from the brass. I never heard anything definitive, however.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
CMP Master Instructor

Back when the CMP had lot's of 03 Springfields; I had picked out a $300.00 03 parade rifle (Rock Island with a single bolt stock). Looked nearly correct except for the bolt and the white paint. It must have slipped through because one of the staff offered me $50 more than the CMP price when I took it to the window. (I didn't take him up on the deal.) Talked with this guy a bit and it seems he was a 03 collector and had over 200 03's in his collection. Don't have a clue as to how many came from the CMP. I heard he died a few years ago; so not talking bad about him, just making an observation.

RA
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post
Most of the best ones were being purchased by staff.

This was tongue-in-cheek right ? I thought there was a heavy restriction on what the staff bought ?
I have to admit I use to wondered about that but thought I read some place they couldn't cherry pick.

I got REAL lucky with my Win. Mail ordered a FG and got a "real" shooter with a VAR barrel. Had to replace the forward hand guard though.
Not at all. They were pulling them off the store floor talking about whether this one or that one would be the better investment. Employees can buy 8 a year and get pickins before we ever see them. Come on, they know these are good investments and such. Good way to pad the employees pockets. Oddly enough many employees don't even own an M1. Those that do can make a little change. There are restrictions like you can't buy your own builds and stuff, but obviously that isn't full proof either.

Last edited by hammonje; 07-03-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Not at all. They were pulling them off the store floor talking about whether this one or that one would be the better investment. Employees can buy 8 a year and get pickins before we ever see them. Come on, they know these are good investments and such. Good way to pad the employees pockets. Oddly enough many employees don't even own an M1. Those that do can make a little change. There are restrictions like you can't buy your own builds and stuff, but obviously that isn't full proof either.
Question then; if I mail order, do they pull from the floor, or do they build to order?

Last edited by DRAGON64; 07-03-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Whining for a WRA
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

For the most part, they do neither of those two. They don't build rack grades, field grades, service grades, or correct grades to order. In most cases, they receive weapons, inspect them, fix any defects, and grade them. There are CMP specials and the new 308 chambered Garands that build up from the refinished receivers. Most of the CMP inventory never hits the floor, it is dedicated for mail order sales. A portion of the inventory is placed on the sales floor at the CMP South Store and some is shipped to the North Store. When the mail orders get back logged, there have been times when inventory is pulled from the South Store sales floor to fill mail order requests. Are there or have there been exceptions to this general pattern, perhaps so, but this is the way it has been reported to generally run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
Question then; if I mail order, do they pull from the floor, or do they build to order?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks Mike, makes perfect sense... I still prefer the drive when I can afford it.

Nevertheless, what I really want is a WRA, either a suitable "Greek" service grade, or a field grade. I realize that field grades are worn & torn, but maybe there is a useable rifle amongst the other stakes...