Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Default Question re selection of M1Ds at SS vs NS?

I am thinking about traveling to either the north store, or south store, on 7/13-7/14. I have not gone to the CMP stores before, and my singular goal is to buy a nice M1D service grade. Does anyone have an appreciation of what I will likely find re typical TE and ME, and if they all have the Greek "black finish" or might some still be parkerized?

Also, between the north store or south store, does anyone know which might have a better inventory? I called the South store, and they make sure that 24 M1Ds are on the racks Wednesday morning, but typically don't re-stock until the following Monday/Tuesday...

(BTW, my first M1 purchase as in May 2012 in NC at the Eastern Matches, where I bought a field grade M1C that has a pretty good 1955-dated barrel (TE 2 and ME 1+), original matching scope bracket, but only average wood and of course it has the black finish. I want to add an M1D now, and I have scaped the $1500 for this purchase...(I am in the process of collecting the M84 scope, USGI scope mount, M2 flash hider and cheek piece).

Any advice would be appreciated. FYI, I live in VA, and could travel 11+ hrs to the south store, or head north and reach Ohio in about 9+ hours, so I could go either location - but it seems impossible to know who has the better collection/selection.) (I have also posted this question in the NS forum, hoping that some "locals" can provide input re my questions).
Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM

I've never been to the North Store, but have purchased three M1Ds at the South Store in '10 and '11, two SGs and one FG. Based on what I've read in these forums, very nice examples are purchased at both locations. I find that typically 25% of M1D receiver/barrels wear the "original" 1952 rebuild finish, of which between 70% and 95% remains. The remainder are black. Muzzles in the service grades gauge anywhere between 0.5 and 2+, but you never know what you may find among the FGs. My FG has a MW of 0.75, but I was admittedly lucky that day. If you are going to the SS, wait until Leon returns from Ohio and give him a call. He can do some pre-arrival "recon" for you if he has the time, something he does regularly for soon-to-be store customers. If you arrive at the store on a Thursday or Friday, he can typically spent some rack time with you to check some out.

Last edited by Tennboy; 07-03-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM

After going thought the complete rack of M1Ds I found two that gauged 3 or better in the throat 1-2 in the muzzle and had non black Greek park as in pic.

Last edited by Dean L; 08-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM

I picked this one up at the South Store last month. I helped someone pick a similar one last week. That being said, the VAST majority were Greek black. All had good bores.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM

Nice rifle rob, how was the selection, been thinking on a trip to , NS soon. Im slam in the middle of both stores.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewdoil View Post
Nice rifle rob, how was the selection, been thinking on a trip to , NS soon. Im slam in the middle of both stores.
Both times I was there (South Store) in the last month there was a full rack of SG M1Ds and a full rack FG M1Ds (24 rifles per rack IIRC). The VAST majority (95%+) were Greek black and in 3/8" or 1/2" DAS stocks. I bought the only one in a SA RA stock that was there that day and there were no SA RA stocks on M1Ds the last time I was there (but not all M1Ds should have that stock, just the SA conversions, but it's a nice feature to have). A gent who bought a USGI finish M1D that day did find a SA RA stock on a SA field grade and bought both rifles and swapped the stocks. Mechanical condition and bores are generally excellent. Because of the abundance of Greek refinishes, I highly recommending picking M1Ds in the store.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewdoil View Post
Nice socks, too

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Nice socks, too
It wouldn't be internet gun photography without socks