Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Default South Store Visit today

Went to the South store today and it was awful. I had gave myself enough time to go make a purchase of supplies not a rifle. The 1st was some M1 carbine mags, after searching through them looking for the codes that matched my rifle I went and picked out two bayonets. Finally I went to see if they had a m1 garand cleaning kit which the guy answers rather abruptly "Yes we do, which one?" Me not being a collector of garands, I just wanted to purchase a piece of history before it was gone informed the guy I didnt know the difference and as I start to try and explain the rifle I have he said the difference is 3$ and do you want a box or tube and slaps them down on the table. Again I try and ask the difference for my particular rifle but after I say difference he says I told you tube or box. As I see I am not getting anywhere I just take the tube and move on. I get to the counter where I am then informed they will not take anymore orders until after lunch which is starting now. I tell the man I am from out of town and have to go and it is not a rifle purchase can I just pay with my credit card and be on my way, He says nope cannot do it, So I think if the store is going to stop taking orders at lunch then why do they stay open for lunch but by this time I am fed up with the guy before me and now this guy so I walk out.

People may wonder why this is upsetting to me so I will explain. I purchased a rifle a couple of weeks ago and wrote a post about the outstanding, top notch service I received. The man (different guy)working at the time understood this was my 1st garand and walked me through picking the perfect rifle. After that when I went on my own and picked a bayonet and sling he stopped what he was doing and informed me that I did not pick the correct stuff for my rifle and went on to show me what I needed. Also the lady that worked there was the one that let me browse when I came at 3pm and they were closing because I was heading home just like today. They went out of their way to help, were courteous and knowledgeable, the guys today I guess just didnt have the time and were to hungry to help.

I thought buying from CMP was for supporting a good cause but I am thinking I would have less hassle at a gun show or fleabay I may have to pay a little more but I dont mind at all paying for good service and ended up wasting 45 minutes of my time to support something that apparently the 2 that I dealt didnt care if I supported.

Last edited by mheston74; 07-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Wow, been going to the store twice a year for at least the last 6 years. Ive never experienced anything like that from the staff. Now I have run into a few customers that were rude and entitled but thats it.

Today was not the day for a store trip. Friend told me that there were a few locals and professional pickers who have the ability to cull a rack before you even get your forms turned in. Ive experienced it, no fun dealing with that kind of competition. Maybe the staff was a little short after the brisk opening.

Anyway, never have I had an issue and have a trip planned in October.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Must have made a wrong turn and stopped at the CMP store in the "Twilight Zone".
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM

the difference in the cleaning rods is just like the guy said " tube or box" that is the only difference . one is in a tube and one is in a box.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Your not kidding, this was a total 180 from my visit a couple of weeks ago. About the professionals being there, i am not one of them I just picked the gun for my son so we could shoot it and he would have it when he grew up. I am just upset of the general attitude and the time and gas going out of my way to stop and make these purchases. Now I wont be back in the area for another 3 months or so and were else can you hand pick a bayonet for 15$ and m1 carbine mags for 5$? Maybe they did have a bad day but that is not my fault and as a nurse my employer does not allow that as an excuse.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Also the only difference in the bayonets I saw was one was longer than the other, but apparently that did matter. Also I can take some of the blame for not researching first but I didnt think it would be needed.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

It is strange that the office closes for lunch. That is not really a big deal. I wouldn't complain about it. It's still the best gun shop I've ever been to. I've been to the store 8 times and the service is always good.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM

I only had a one trip where I felt that the "professionals" caused any sort of a problem. A man who had probs getting around took a chair and sat it in front of the SG SA's. A younger man, who I suppose was his son, took a large number of the rifles and corner stacked them until the old man could go through every one of them. I reached over to look through the ones they had stacked in the corner and basically got moved out of the way. It was irritating at the time but I still got the two SG's I was looking for and an HRA FG to boot.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 AM

I just wish I could make the trip to either of the stores, but they're too far from Colorado and I just don't have the time to make that kind of trip. I can't even get away to visit family in OK.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM

I am a bit of a rookie. I did not think you were allowed to squirrel away rifles from everyone else. I will have to be careful when I go if this is the case. My medication could wear off at that point and a ruckus would surely follow.