Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Cmp Sells staff are there to answer basic questions ,not babysit,,
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM

I know firsthand that many customers vote with their feet and never tell you why they didn't come back. Your worst employee can drive away a fair amount of business before you deal with them. In any a business, a complaint is an opportunity to make your service better. I can tell you all kinds of horror stories dealing with customers. You just have to realize in the end they are paying your check. Not everyone gets this, and those folks get weeded out.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Everytime I have been at the South Store, they close down the sales office for lunch. That means parts / accessories as well as rifles. All the office staff take their lunch break at the same time. I plan my purchases to take that into account. If you have an expection that the CMP stores are run like a 7-11 or other convenience store you will likely be disapointed.

The store stays open over the lunch period so you can continue to look at rifles. I am happy I am allowed to that rather than be booted out into the parking lot during lunch. The sales staff accomodates a wide range of customers, those that want help picking out that one special rifle and those customers that spend all day looking through every single rifle in the building, looking for rare parts, cartouched stocks, odd serial numbers and all those odd ball things that those of us affected with severe cases of Garanditis gush over.

The sales staff are all different personalities and have different abilities. Some have a deep knowledge of which parts are appropriate with different production eras of particular rifles. Other sales personell are armorers filling in and don't have that particular knowlege. Sometimes the sales staff are volunteers. I have taken 2 or 3 hours out of the time I spent at the South Store on any particular day I am at the store to help others find the rifles that best meet their needs, especially if those customers are active duty military. I know a lot about Garands, but I couldn't advise you on whether you should have bought a cleaning kit in a tube or box.

As far as doing as well at a gun show or flea bay, I have been to lots and lots of gun shows and I have never been in a gun show with the opportunity to look through a hundred or more Garands. As far as flea bay goes, do you have a chance to handle any items before you bid on flea bay? At the CMP store the price is the price, you don't have to worry about someone outbidding you. If there are quite a few dedicated buyers in the store, you do sometimes have to make up your mind in a hurry because others may purchase a particular item before you.

Having a chance to shop at either of the CMP stores is a little piece of heaven, some days it may be better than others. My worst day at the CMP store was still a mighty fine day. I hope you enjoy your next time at the CMP store.

I am about an 8 hour drive from the South Store and probably have made 15 or so trips down to the South store since 2006.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM

I think it far better to let you stay inside and look around at lunch than make you go sit outside on the bench and sweat in the Alabama heat. There is a sign posted that states that the cashier window is closed at lunch and to finish your paper work thirty minutes before final close to allow time to clear NICS. I little situational awareness goes along way as there is not that much signage in the south store. I don't begrudge anyone the right to take a lunch break. God knows I like to eat so I expect everyone else does also.fficeffice" />>>
Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

I live in Kansas City, MO and have never made the trip. According to Yahoo Maps, I am looking at about a 12 hour drive to the South Store. Having said that, I really do want to plan a trip (hopefully sometime in the very near future). Does anyone have any insight on when would be a good time to make the trek? I've heard some say that you want to wait until after the Camp Perry events as the store shelves might be a little bare. Now I don't know if Camp Perry is coming up or has past, but would certainly appreciate any suggestions as to a good time to make the drive.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkavanaugh View Post
I live in Kansas City, MO and have never made the trip. According to Yahoo Maps, I am looking at about a 12 hour drive to the South Store. Having said that, I really do want to plan a trip (hopefully sometime in the very near future). Does anyone have any insight on when would be a good time to make the trek? I've heard some say that you want to wait until after the Camp Perry events as the store shelves might be a little bare. Now I don't know if Camp Perry is coming up or has past, but would certainly appreciate any suggestions as to a good time to make the drive.
The experience can be serreal... I am always in awe when I walk through the store, and see all of those beautiful rifles sitting on those racks. I do wish that the CMP still had some 1903's and M1 carbines to complete the experience, but unfortunately these were long before my time... long before I knew that I needed an M1 Garand. Good luck with your trip, I hope you find what you are looking for.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM

I made the trip to Annistion one time last year. About a 5 hr drive for me. Got to the store about 0830 and it only had a few customers.. At that time there were plenty of correct grade rifles and quite a few service grads specials. Store staff was very helpful and even checked the serial number of my old service rifle to see if it had passed thru CMP at sometime in the passt. It hadn't. I would not make a special trip back to Anniston since what I have recieved thru mail order is as good a I would have picked myself. If for some reason I had to pass close by the S. Store I would take a short detour to revisit.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM

I have only been three times in the last 3 years. It is a 12 hour drive from SC and back so I always did my home work before I get there so don't need any help. I was never asked if I needed any. Maybe because I looked like I knew what I was doing.
Only time I asked Leon about anything, the last visit, he didn't have much time for me. Busy man.
EVERYBODY has an off day and maybe it was that way the day the OP was there. Over all the folks behind the service counter and the gals in the office were always nice and helpful to me.
As for the lunch break, most stores have a split shift for lunch so business doesn't have to stop. CMP has their own reason to shut done for lunch I guess. On the other hand the store isn't like any other. I always get there at 0830 on Wed. and am gone by 1100.
As for the "pro buyers", I ran into that on my second visit. Was looking for a barreled receiver carbine. Went to turn in my paper work ( NEVER do that when you walk into the store) and by the time I got to the rack, maybe 4 minutes, there were only 6-8 left to pick from all the rest were in several guys arms or piled up on the service counter. I picked out three and took them to the counter for fear I'd not get another shot. Found one that went home with me. Most of the others were back on the racks by the time I left. I don't care for that type of doings but CMP, at least SS, allows it and most of the members seem to think its OK. When you get right down to it, why the hell would CMP care if someone cleaned off an entire rack and bought half of them or even just one. They are getting the funds they need to carry on. That is what they are there for. The big spenders are always going to rule in a deal like this. My measly $12,000- 14,000+/- over 3 years is nothing like what those guys spend in a year. Still a real treat when I can make it down there.
Just don't pay any attention to the other folks in there, OP. Do your home work and do your thing when you get there !!
It is what it is.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA

Last edited by J.R.2009; 07-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Default statistically

Statistically there is bound to be at least one negative for all the positives posted...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

I agree with Mike in NC. I live three miles from the south store and make at least one visit a week. I do not consider myself a professional picker. Although living so close gives me the opportunity to pass over some rifles many people would consider a diamond in the rough. I'm sure you would agree on your next visit you would have a better understanding they are there to help as must as the situation allows.