Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh
Default First Trip to South Store - Where to Stay???

I am making my very first trip to the South Store this coming Saturday, July 21st. Any recommendations on a good place to stay the night before? The family is coming in tow, if that makes any difference. Also, any other suggestions for an early Saturday morning trip to the store?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

My dad and I went this last Saturday and we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. Its maybe a mile down the same road the South Store is on. It was very clean, practically new, and within walking distance of many restaurants. They also had a nice indoor Jacuzzi and pool.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Forgot to say: get there about 7:45. That's when we got there and the door was unlocked at 7:50 and we walked right in.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Do they mind if you pitch a tent on the lawn?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM

I like the Hampton Inn. They offer a CMP rate but it was not as good as the AAA rate when i stayed. You can walk across the street to the Lone Star Steakhouse for dinner. Outdoor pool and hot tub.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Plus one for the Hampton Inn. I've stayed there three times and haven't been disappointed yet. The free breakfast makes it just a little better than the Hilton Garden Inn for me.
Registered Voter
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

I'll second that. It was quite nice and clean. it's about 5 minutes from the store.
I ate at the Lone Star bar every night. Beer was cold, food was good, waitresses were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1afli View Post
I like the Hampton Inn. They offer a CMP rate but it was not as good as the AAA rate when i stayed. You can walk across the street to the Lone Star Steakhouse for dinner. Outdoor pool and hot tub.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

Sounds like there are more votes for the Hampton Inn. On a slightly different note, any input on what to expect on a Saturday at the store? I am more of a collector than a shooter. I do shoot, but my real interest is in collecting World War II firearms. I have three Garands - 1 Winchester and 2 Springfields. My hope is to find another World War II era Garand - preferably with GI wood and World War II era barrel. Should I go straight to the racks or should I ask for help the moment I get in the door? Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM

The guys at the counter are always willing to help. Saturday mornings might be a little hectic so you just have to make a judgement call. There is nothing wrong with selecting two or three quickly, then giving them a through look over at the counter. You can get some individual assistance there and usually some extra eyes are willing to look and help you out. I've learned a lot from some of the guys who are looking for the next member of their collection also. Plan to get there early and spend most of the day. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Registered Voter
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Victoria on June 1, 2012 just a few minutes away and were glad we did. Excellent place and excellent breakfast.