Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Default national match garands

During the national matches made it to the store once and found three national match M1's in with the service grade rifles. One was a 1959 with a LMR barrel, a 1961 and a 1962. All barrels were stamped NM between the gas cly. rings and stamped correctly on the op rod side of the chamber. All three chambers were in the white and gauged 1/2 and 1/3. These rifles were in great condition and was a wonderful find for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Welcome! Yes I bought one of each while at the matches. If you got there early in the day there were a few gems...

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Same here... found a nice 5.9 (been looking for one in my price range for over five years) with a NM barrel in the Service Grade rack on the Saturday morning of the Garand Match. Neat find...
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM

The LMR BBL I got on one of the service grades is so tight it barely makes 0 the other with the NM BBL was marked 2 but I gauged and re-gauged and it is a 1 or 1+ at worst. The coolest find I got during matches was a 6 digit with a SA-McFarlan stock w milled trigger guard..all SA, 54 SA BBL gauged 1. I worked my buns off to be there by 7:45 for 4 mornings but it paid dividends. Having my own gauges helps in getting to the SG racks quickly. Even though there was a mad rush to the SG racks...everyone was pretty civil

CMP Match Chairman
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 08-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM

I was passing through on business and they had 1 5.9M NM and 7 6.0M NM rifles available on 14 Aug.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM

For you guys that purchased the Garands with the NM parts at the matches- What was the wood like-I'm assuming non-bedded? Any other NM parts, ie, sights? Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
For you guys that purchased the Garands with the NM parts at the matches- What was the wood like-I'm assuming non-bedded? Any other NM parts, ie, sights? Thanks
I think all ANY of them had were barrels and a possible NM OP rod here or there. That was bonus enough and still JCG match legal.. Mine had a nice HRA USGI stock that I swapped with an SA stock as the rest of the rifle was pretty much all SA

CMP Match Chairman
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 08-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
The 5.9 I picked up had an arsenal refurbished stock on it. The front handguard was also glued. There was a 5.3 I left on the rack that had a real nice set of USGI wood on it with a beautiful DOD cartrouche. Wish it had been on my 5.9. Just my observations...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Oney, I saw that 5.9 you grabbed. If I recall there weren't more than maybe 5 or 6 SA SGs Sat. morning and I looked t that one hard. Walnut USGI stock, right???

Why didn't I get it? Because I got three SGs a couple of days before, all 1955 production with new wood, including a 5.8 Springfield with NM op rod and barrel.

I had chance to get out and shoot it yesterday and BOY and I GLAD I got it!!! Shoots cloverleafs all day long. However the muzzle was marked a "2" but I think this is false. There's no way it looks or shoots like a "2". The throat is also a "2" but -- brand new barrels often gauge a "2". Thus, it's difficult for me to imagine how BOTH the muzzle and throat could be a "2". I think some of the late barrels and a deeper-cut crown giving a falsely high muzzle reading.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM

you lucky dogs