Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Default new member needing help

Hello new to the forum. I placed my order with the cmp today. I have garand fever. I searched my local gun shops today looking for a nice garand. I found a nice looking springfield with a 3.7 million serial number. The barrel is dated 1944 and the furniture is new walnut? I need help, so I do not buy someone else problem or a gun that is not safe. What do I need to look for? Should I just wait for my cmp Rifle?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM

jdhr, Welcome. A 3.7 Springfield dates from 1945 at the end of WW2. A 1944 barrel could have been original but was more than likely a replacement from a arsenal re-build. Ask the shop owner if he knows the person who sold it or look for someone you know who is knowledgeable to look it over for you. I'm sure someone else will jump in with what to look for. Good luck, Eddie
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 PM

wait for CMP, i imagine the gun shop rifle cost a bit more right? roll that money into a few cans of hxp 30-06 best price around.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Gun shop is asking $900. I ordered a service grade so I am hoping for the same quality for $300 less.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM

from what i have seen 900 is fair for a gun shop price, having said that i rarely have seen a gun shop garand for under 1100 that has been better than my cmp service grades.

cmp is the way to go they guarantee the quality of the rifle, you get a free carrying case and god forbid you have to sell the rifle you have provenance and you wont come up short
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM

I don't think the CMP can guarantee these old rifles are safe to fire. i think the owners manual implores you to have it checked out always.. vaguely remember reading some kind of booklet that came with the rifle right

However they do inspect and grade them and you won't get a worn out barrel & chamber unless you are shopping around that particular price point on purpose.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
I don't think the CMP can guarantee these old rifles are safe to fire. i think the owners manual implores you to have it checked out always.. vaguely remember reading some kind of booklet that came with the rifle right

However they do inspect and grade them and you won't get a worn out barrel & chamber unless you are shopping around that particular price point on purpose.
CMP tests fires each rifle, they are safe to shoot after abasic cleaning greasing and oiling
Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Wait for the CMP rifle. You can rest assured that it has been function tested and will be most likely better than the conditon stated in the grade description. Buying a rifle off the shelf in a gun store or pawn shop could be a mix of parts of unknown quality and you will pay more for it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Welcome to the forum. See if local gun club has any garand shooters. Here in Michigan we are as thick ****** ticks on a fat, lazy dog. I also recomend you wait for CMP.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhr View Post
Gun shop is asking $900. I ordered a service grade so I am hoping for the same quality for $300 less.
why don't you check out local pawn stores. I am sure you will find good quality gun at fair price. there is no harm in at least finding the price and checking on the quality at the shops!

Last edited by ashleyjohn; 12-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.