Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Default New from Georgia

Hello all! I stumbled across the CMP today and already have plans to hit the south store Dec 14 to pick up another Christmas present .

I know very little about Garands other than I've wanted one from when I was a kid and saw them in WW2 movies. As I've gotten older I've heard nothing but utmost respect for the rifle. I always thought it would be out of my range though and stumbled across the CMP by accident. So, with a brand new S&W M&P 15 already under the tree my wife has graciously agreed to make the short trip to Anniston to look at the rifles there.

A field grade rifle is what I'll likely get. So any tips on what I should look for? Should I be prepared to walk away and come back another day or are they likely to have something decent on a regular basis? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
Jason

Last edited by JnDRader; 11-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forums. What part of Ga. are you in?

When I look at field grades I usually look for good mechanicals as opposed to a pretty one. I have a few gems from the FG racks that just needed better clothes, including several with barrel numbers at 2 or better. Sometimes you can find correct WW II barrel/receiver combos if that is your preference.

Tell the staff what your preferences are and they will usually try to help you find something along those lines. The folks there are the best.

Glad to have you on board.

Foxtrot351
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Douglasville, so barely an hour from Anniston. I've heard great things about the staff so I'm looking forward to working with them. Definitely agree on mechanics over beauty. A stock is much easier and cheaper to replace. That and I know a guy who refinishes wood for a living so if the stock is at all salvageable he can do it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM

Jason
Welcome to the forum and be prepared for Granditis.
Only if you go on December 17 which is a Monday you will be disappointed they are closed.
They are only open Wednesday thru Saturday 8:00 to 3:00
Welcome again and enjoy this crazy group
Darrell
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/stores.htm

Last edited by wickyD; 11-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickyD View Post
Jason
Welcome to the forum and be prepared for Granditis.
Only if you go on December 17 which is a Monday you will be disappointed they are closed.
They are only open Wednesday thru Saturday 8:00 to 3:00
Welcome again and enjoy this crazy group
Darrell
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/stores.htm
Yep, my bad. Meant the 14th! Looking forward to joining it!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Spend the extra $100 and get a SG. USGI walnut in great condition is worth $300-400 if you can find one so clothed. Not to mention the superior bore and overall parts condition. Well worth the extra money. Good luck. Xmas time is a great time to buy. Also...think about this option too, the very best time to buy is often in January. Don't ask me why besides the store is closed for a while allowing the staff to get the racks stocked plum full. So if you don't find something that jumps out at you...come back after the Holidays.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Spend the extra $100 and get a SG. USGI walnut in great condition is worth $300-400 if you can find one so clothed. Not to mention the superior bore and overall parts condition. Well worth the extra money. Good luck. Xmas time is a great time to buy. Also...think about this option too, the very best time to buy is often in January. Don't ask me why besides the store is closed for a while allowing the staff to get the racks stocked plum full. So if you don't find something that jumps out at you...come back after the Holidays.
May have talked the wife into a service grade. I'll look for a decent field grade first but if I find a nice service grade during the search I might carry it around as a fall back .

Quick question. After reading a ton of threads I'm still confused lol! I want a shooter, preferably with some WW2 lineage. I don't care if the stock is in rough shape as long as it's salvageable.

Any pointers? If I gave the above description to the folks at the south store would that be adequate or would they look at me like I'm the newb I am?

Last edited by JnDRader; 11-28-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Welcome....Douglasville is way to close to the store.....trouble ahead, big trouble. When I lived in Gerogia (67-75) we pronounced it "JAW-JA".
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLMAX View Post
Welcome....Douglasville is way to close to the store.....trouble ahead, big trouble. When I lived in Gerogia (67-75) we pronounced it "JAW-JA".
Sounds about the way my daughter pronounces dog lol! I'm not a native though the accent is creeping in little by little. Now my wife, when she's tired especially, look out!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Quick question. After reading a ton of threads I'm still confused lol! I want a shooter, preferably with some WW2 lineage. I don't care if the stock is in rough shape as long as it's salvageable.

I agree with Hammonje on the service grade with a USGI stock if there is one there. Many of the SGs are in new wood. I picked up a late 1943 Springfield from the SG rack earlier in the year with its original barrel, bolt and most of the internals. Had a post war op rod, rear sights and GI stock. It shoots very well.

Usually, there are a few "regulars" there that will be glad to share their knowledge with you and the staff will help too. If you are real lucky, Leon (CMP Staff) will be there and he'll help you find what you are looking for AND MORE.