Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post
This year was a great year for the North Store. At the beginning of 2012, the SG rifles were great with really nice USGI wood. Then we had the Win-13 rifles show up. After the National Matches were over, there were many very good shipments of rifles including many WWII rifles with WWII barrels, 5.9m, 5.3m, and other less common variations. The BR selection was good, the ammo variations were good, nice Kimbers, M1A kits, specials, snipers, etc. All good stuff.
I couldn't agree more - the selection in the racks this year was exceptional.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
This year was a great year for the North Store. At the beginning of 2012, the SG rifles were great with really nice USGI wood. Then we had the Win-13 rifles show up. After the National Matches were over, there were many very good shipments of rifles including many WWII rifles with WWII barrels, 5.9m, 5.3m, and other less common variations. The BR selection was good, the ammo variations were good, nice Kimbers, M1A kits, specials, snipers, etc. All good stuff.
What a great year to start collecting M1's at the North store for me. I started on January 4th this year and so far ended up with a 4.79 HRA SG, 5.48 SA SG (with original NM barrel with Type 1 marks only) and a 3.2 SA SG (10/44 correct brl) all now corrected and all with less than a 1 ME. I also picked up a 740k SA FG LEAD 9-64 rebuild (7/42 original barrel ME 3+) and a 7.62 brl/rec. Not trying to brag, just giving the facts as I did a lot of looking in 2012. One more trip planned next week just to make sure.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I made two trips this year, mid-June and mid-August. Picked up a couple of Krags($300. and nice), two 4.7 HRA SG's(very nice), 3.6 and 4.3 almost correct Springfield FG's and a original parked receiver Winney-13. This is my third year visiting the North Store and YES, it was my best. Abeal, thanks for your informative reports this year.

Last edited by flatlander; 12-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM

The trip I made back in March was great too. The racks were full of everything except the correct grades. All the SA's were gone and while I was there they pulled all the HRA corrects to fill mail orders. Other than that it was great. Ah the good old days...

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdKryton View Post
The trip I made back in March was great too. The racks were full of everything except the correct grades. All the SA's were gone and while I was there they pulled all the HRA corrects to fill mail orders. Other than that it was great. Ah the good old days...
I think sometimes we're too quick to call the end of the good old days. The last few years have been outstanding, new collectors (like myself, I only got into Garands a few years ago, I was a hardcore pistol collector for decades, then got all giddy about carbines) don't realize how lucky they are, and every time the stores have a poor selection, and the mail order guns start selling out, we all tend to think the worst.

Then they release a fantastic batch of SGs, with lots of lockbars and original barrels, like the beginning of this year.

Or the Win 13s, like this Spring.

Or the AF rifles, and rifles with NM barrels, like this Summer.

Or the Navy B/R, NM rifles, and 6 Millions, like this Fall.

Or the IHCs that we'll be getting (according to the rumors) very soon.

Not to mention the ammo, accessories, etc that pop up from time to time.

The CMP has a way of keeping the "marriage" "spiced up," haha, the way an wife of 40 years still goes lingerie shopping...

Obviously, there's a finite supply of these guns, and we're eventually going to run out, but there's still got to be thousands of fantastic guns in the system.

Today was probably the worst selection I've ever seen at the NS, and I still found a gun that would have probably come home with me if the selection was better, and there were at least a dozen others that would have made the cut if I really examined them closely.

This also seems to be the time when the mail order people get really lucky. The folks making store trips are always showing off their finds when the picking is good, and groaning when the "cream has been skimmed" for weeks since the last truck arrived. Mail ordering can be hit and miss, but you're at least getting a fair shot at a gem, rather than picking the best of a bunch of leftovers.

Yeah, the good old days certainly arrived a while back, but they may refuse to die for a while yet...even though we keep eulogizing them!

Or maybe that's just my "glass half full" outlook, haha.

Last edited by dpd3672; 12-16-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
I think sometimes we're too quick to call the end of the good old days. The last few years have been outstanding, new collectors (like myself, I only got into Garands a few years ago, I was a hardcore pistol collector for decades, then got all giddy about carbines) don't realize how lucky they are, and every time the stores have a poor selection, and the mail order guns start selling out, we all tend to think the worst.

Then they release a fantastic batch of SGs, with lots of lockbars and original barrels, like the beginning of last year.

Or the Win 13s, like this Spring.

Or the AF rifles, and rifles with NM barrels, like this Summer.

Or the Navy B/R, NM rifles, and 6 Millions, like this Fall.

Or the IHCs that we'll be getting (according to the rumors) very soon.

The CMP has a way of keeping the "marriage" "spiced up," haha, the way an wife of 40 years still goes lingerie shopping...

Obviously, there's a finite supply of these guns, and we're eventually going to run out, but there's still got to be thousands of fantastic guns in the system.

Today was probably the worst selection I've ever seen at the NS, and I still found a gun that would have probably come home with me if the selection was better, and there were at least a dozen others that would have made the cut if I really examined them closely.

This also seems to be the time when the mail order people get really lucky. The folks making store trips are always showing off their finds when the picking is good, and groaning when the "cream has been skimmed" for weeks since the last truck arrived. Mail ordering can be hit and miss, but you're at least getting a fair shot at a gem, rather than picking the best of a bunch of leftovers.

Yeah, the good old days certainly arrived a while back, but they may refuse to die for a while yet...even though we keep eulogizing them!

Or maybe that's just my "glass half full" outlook, haha.

The CMP has a way of keeping the "marriage" "spiced up," haha, the way an wife of 40 years still goes lingerie
shopping...
I'm betting Orest gets a good laugh out of this analogy, I sure did!
I agree with you. The CMP is choke full of goodies that we crave, and they're good at rationing out the rate at which they expend their wares. Whether as you said, a full blown menue of Garands, various surplus accessories, all kinds and configurations of probably the last remaining surplus ammo stock piles, ball, tracer, AP. Man I've enjoyed the CMP buffet, and ready for another helping!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25pilot View Post
DPD3672,

I think you were taking pictures of the 7.62 BR's when I was making my final selection.

I ended up taking home two MK2 Mod1 BR's on SA receivers, one H&R conversion and one USN conversion, to keep my AMF converted MK2 Mod1 company.

The H&R BR gauges TE=1 MW=1 and is nice overall condition. 1.81 mil SA receiver.

The USN BR gauges TE=0.5 MW=0, SPL marked barrel, polished underside of barrel, the remains of epoxy on the barrel from where the hand guards were "glued" on. 1.76 mil SA receiver.

The TE measurement marked on the receiver made picking them a little bit easier. I brought my gauges since they were not marked last time I was there. Most 7.62 BR's were 3+ and I did see an 8 in there. A guy who was at the rack before me took 4 or 5 (I think one was an AMF) up to the counter before I selected mine. When I left the rack there were only 3 or 4 BR's that measured under 2. All were SA receivers, only a few were H&R's conversions, most were USN conversions, 2 still had hand guards on them, and about another six had epoxy left on the barrel from where the hand guards were "glued" on.

It will probably be a bit before I build these BR's back into complete Garands, but I wanted to get a USN and H&R to go with my AMF conversion, before all the good ones are gone, and it looks like that time is coming soon by what's on the racks.

I am the customer who took up the MK2 Mod1 B/R's. I ended up taking a AMF (ME= -1 TE=1), a H&R (ME= -1 TE=1), and a very nice USN (ME= -1 TE=1) with the correct barrel spots polished and epoxied.

I put several very nice B/R's back very late in afternoon (2:30) that very well may still be there. Two AMF both ME=1 TE=1, and a H&R ME=1 TE=1. There are also two very nice USN's ME= 1 TE=1 and ME= +1 TE=2. There are also several others that are nice that gauge around ME= 1 or 2 and TE= 2/3/4. There are a couple of decent B/R's that have the wood pinned and epoxyed to the barrel. So good news for Magna's customers if looking for one of these.

All the reports seem correct.

There were about 6 SA FG's left.

Not many of the HRA FG's left the store with both sides of the racks about full.

There is a rack of M1C SG's. None with matching #'s, and about half do not have the mount screws staked inside the receiver. I feel all are priced too high.

There is a rack of M1C FG's. There are 3 with matching #'s but the barrels do not guage very well. Again priced too high.

There is a rack of M1D SG's and a few with correct open box SA cartouche...one had original finish and ME=1 that almost went home with me, but Christmas is coming and I already picked out my gifts.

There is a rack of M1D FG's with a few having correct SA open box cartouche stocks too but did not guage very well.

To Magna's customers...the guys behind the counter say there are only 10 more MK2 Mod1 B/R's in the back that could be put out. Everything else is out. Lets see what he can pull out of the hat! Have faith and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceNEoHIO View Post
I am the customer who took up the MK2 Mod1 B/R's. I ended up taking a AMF (ME= -1 TE=1), a H&R (ME= -1 TE=1), and a very nice USN (ME= -1 TE=1) with the correct barrel spots polished and epoxied.
Sounds like you got some nice ones too. Good score! I cleaned mine up last night and I am very happy with my purchases. The bores are in great condition. I pulled the bolt out of the AMF I just finished to make sure I'd be able to get good headspace when I finally get around to assembling these. They are good to go on headspace with that bolt, which was a NOS bolt before I installed it in the AMF.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Were there SG Specials there? They would have a WWII serial number, and I would only have to replace the stock, right?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

For the most part all SG Specials are all late production...post war..in the 5M SN range.