Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Lyman published a manual with many different cartridges used in the AR rifles, including of course, the 223. I find it a very useful book, because it includes many different types/weights of bullets and recommended powders.

With the AR, you have a more narrow choice of loadings than with say a bolt action rifle, due to the need to properly/reliably cycle the action and to stay under the maximum pressures. Some powders will dirty up your action, while others burn more cleanly.

There are loadings for cast lead bullets, but I have not had much luck with them in regard to accuracy. I much prefer the jacketed bullets weighing 55 grains.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 PM

You might look at White Oak precisionís websight- clickon the TECH info tab. I like the RL15 loads listed there. They have produced very consistent velocity in my Wylde barrel
Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 PM

With longer bullets you will run into issues with magazine fitment and compressed loads. Read the manuals, start low and work your way up. Just be patient as it can be frustrating.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=lapriester;1839359]Go on-line to the Hodgdon, Nosler, Alliant, Western Powder reloading data pages. There are so many appropriate powders for 223/5.56 it will make hour head spin. I load, with good results, H335, IMR4895 (dirty powder in 223), H4895 (much better than IMR), Varget (my favorite), IMR4198, CFE223. Load development is the key. I don't believe I've tried a powder yet I couldn't eventually get sub MOA results from with a little work. If yiu can actually call productive range time "work." Overall, Varget has always performed the best in my AR's and especially my bolt varmint gun where I get under half inch 100 yard groups with 55g V-Max

These are on sale https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-v-...ax-250-ct.html