Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Anybody ever seen one of these?

I got the above when the boss was told by the Colonel to clean up a back room and the boss worked all day piling stuff in a crate. Then he came around to us and told us anything left in that box the following morning was going to the dump and get what we wanted and I got this and some other stuff.

I believe this was a experimental flash suppressor for the XM177 carbine as the medical folks indicated the noise from the original shorty barrel could rupture ear drums with one exposure. They had already made a pile of barrels so the decision was made to add a tube.

Apparently this was considered too short because the XM177s I have seen the tube is about two inches longer.

It appears to be made from three pieces and the front and rear was heat to expand the tube and the parts were pushed in and when it cooled it was permanent.

There are no baffles in it, just a cylindrical chamber and there is firing residue therein. I could not get the flash to light up inside.

Thought you guys might be interested in a little history of the AR.
Distinguished Smallbore Prone & Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100, Member US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted small arms testing for US Army TECOM, Army Materials Systems Analysis Activity and the US Marine Corps.
Commandant USMC Commendation for "Exceptional Performance" on M16A1E1 Rifle Testing (adopted as M16A2) Army Commendation Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun Program.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Link to images doesn't work
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM

That doesn't look like the flash suppressor that were on the XM177s that the dog handlers carried when I was in. Those were smooth front to rear with only the ports towards the front.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:08 PM

I would post that over in the Retro section of the AR15 forum
Old 02-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Looks like an a2 birdcage on a barrel extension, maybe for making 14.5s legally 16 if welded.