Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2018, 10:37 AM

The Commanding Officer validated this carbine was stolen from the military....amazing. I would rather believe the Grand Father that the carbine is what it is but a document by the Commanding Officer.....nope, that dog doesn't hunt and smell right.

By the way any carbine or Marine was on Iwo within days of the flag raising...that has no relevance in the discussion.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propjetprop View Post
Looking for a museum or place to display this m1...it has literally sat in my safe since this original post was made...help
Please consider the National Museum of the Pacific War. Itís a part of the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg m TX.

http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/
NRA Life Member
From Conroe, TX.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

Is there a big demand to display weapons with questionable originality and no documented provenance other than the same bring back story you'll hear 100 times at any gun show?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimfortheblack View Post
Is there a big demand to display weapons with questionable originality and no documented provenance other than the same bring back story you'll hear 100 times at any gun show?
You won't see 100 guns like this at any gun show. 100 gun shows to see one, maybe.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM

Bringing an old thread back to life! I have some very exciting news! I was invited by the Iwo Jima Association of America to attend the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima on the island as a legacy family member of a my grandfather who fought in the battle and of which this thread was about. We will be flying on a chartered jet from Guam to Iwo Jima March 28th 2020. The week leading up to the Iwo Jima tour, we will be touring Guam battle fields and attending symposiums and banquets with the last few survivors. I am putting together a powerpoint presentation for the group to share my grandfathers story that I have been able to accumulate over the years. I will also be sharing the story of these weapons, especially the M1 carbine.

I want to thank all of you for your information and input on this gun, and tell you how appreciative I am of your knowledge and dedication to the history of the M1 carbine!

I will report back with more when I have the Powerpoint completed.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Sounds like a GREAT adventure!!!! Cant wait to see your after action report!!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Thanks for updating this thread. Sounds like it would be an honor to go.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 AM

Wow! That will be an incredible trip and a once in a lifetime opportunity to walk the same ground that your grandfather did three-quarters of a century ago! I look forward to reading your trip report.
NRA Life Member
From Conroe, TX.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 PM

I spent the day putting together this PowerPoint presentation to bring to Iwo Jima with me to share with the veterans that still live and their families. This is the story of my grandfather... The M1, Arisaka 99, sword, flag and uniform...

It is in the google drive cloud, so the link will probably tell you too large to view... just click download to view... its a MS PowerPoint file. Copy and paste the link below!

Enjoy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qTm...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
This is correct. But too often it seems there's a PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN crowd that dismisses these stories outright without blood oath affidavits, Gen. MacArthur's approval, carbon dating on the sand in the stock, etc...If you don't believe the story, ok don't believe it. But don't get on here and call some guy a con artist and his family member a liar.
Agree. Sometimes these stories are easily falsified -- like the "M1917 WWI bring-back" on Gunbroker that had a JA WWII barrel, or the WWII "bring-back" M1 Carbines that have obviously gone through post-war rebuild. Even then, it doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the story is a con artist or an intentional liar. Maybe grandpa told his grandson "This is the gun I used in the war," meaning "This is the type of gun I used in the war," and the grandson (who is not a firearms collector) took it to mean the gun was a bring-back.

If you can clearly falsify the story, that's one thing. But if you can't, and you just don't believe the story, then don't believe it, and let it go. You've got no skin in the game anyway. (The story told on this thread is interesting and pretty believable, though.)

Last edited by TwoGunChuck; 01-24-2020 at 10:37 AM.